View directory of a site?

Community Forums/General Help/View directory of a site?

EOF(Posted 2010) [#1]
How do you view the directory contents of a site?
I have an old site of mine where I uploaded stuff way back when. Although I have the URL and can access the main page I would like to view the directory tree. Is there a way access this?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
Not normally, since the webserver will simply serve the default page if it exists (index.html or equivalent). There is no way to override that from the client side.
You'll only see a directory listing if none of the default filenames exist in the folder, and even then many servers will block the list nowadays.

EOF(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thanks Marc, that's what I'm stuck with. The index.htm automatically loads up
I recall using something a long time ago to view the site contents but it's a long time ago

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#4]
It would be reeaally interesting if there was a way to see a website's directory tree...

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#5]
If you have FTP access to the site you can of course see the contents that way.

If the information you're looking for is all visible/linked, then you can also grab a copy using an 'offline browser' like PageNest. You can give it a URL, and it will walk all the links and grab copies of the files it finds in a folder on your own PC... But that will only work for publically visible pages and images, not for any unlinked content that may still be lurking in a folder somewhere.

nawi(Posted 2010) [#6]
Theoretically impossible.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#7]
Extra security through obscurity.

Danny(Posted 2010) [#8]
I used to use GetRight download manager (getright.com), which has a special sort of browser that shows sites in the form of files/folders. Not sure if that still works these days though, probably depends on the site.

D.

nawi(Posted 2010) [#9]
It probably merely showed the file structure you get when you download a page.