Stupid question about domain names

Community Forums/General Help/Stupid question about domain names

GfK(Posted 2010) [#1]
Scenario:

* I currently have a domain name/hosting with a company (Z-host) which no longer meets my requirements.

* I want to buy a new hosting package, but leave the domain name with the existing company for now.

* I use IMAP email protocol as I work from several PCs - this is a must.

If I buy a new hosting package, then change the nameservers for the domain, will I still be able to use IMAP?

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#2]
If your new hosting provider supports IMAP then yes. Do note your current mail isn't available on the new host so be sure you've downloaded the important mails.

As long as you can manage the DNS of your domain and your new provider prepares it's hosting package for your domain name all should be fine. If at all possible I'd let your new provider configure the DNS to their likings so you're sure all is going to work after changing. If not you can blame them :-).

GfK(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thanks for the reply - yes the new [potential] company do support IMAP so I suppose I'm good to go?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
Depending on the client, you risk blowing away all your mail: If the new server doesn't have the messages, it appears to the client that they'v ebeen deleted from the server, and when it will sync up it may erase your local copy as well.

You may wish to save/export your local copy to a backup first, so you can recover should this happen.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#5]
Thanks - not bothered about that though - I don't hoard emails. There's probably two or three that I've kept long-term but it wouldn't be inconvenient if they went AWOL.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2010) [#6]
Only having quickly skimmed the difference, I thought it might be worth pointing out that POP3 email can still be accessed from different PCs/devices as long as you tell the email client on each one to leave the emails on the server (and usually set it to remove them after x number of days).

[Hot tip: Plan for it all to go wrong!]

GfK(Posted 2010) [#7]
Yeah, used to do that before I discovered IMAP. Trouble was I ended up with multiple local copies of the same email so I didn't stick with that method for very long.