Flash drive wiped itself...

Community Forums/General Help/Flash drive wiped itself...

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2010) [#1]
I have just lost about 1 year worth of code and other projects i have worked on. I have made backups but not for a while. I was using gimp and the flash drive kept connecting and reconnecting constantly. I didn't think much about it but at one point when i went to save something it asked me to format the drive. Knowing this would delete the data I didn't do it. As far as I know the files are wiped but is there any way to recover them. Note that I cant access the files because it is unformatted. Thanks for any help.

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2010) [#2]
I found a software that is supposed to recover flash drives but it says it can not find any files on it. Do i need to format i first?

Otus(Posted 2010) [#3]
Which filesystem did you use? FAT?

I would first try to make a copy of the raw device data before attempting any potentially harmful operations like reformatting. (Using e.g. dd on *nix. Google for Windows tools.)

Shambler(Posted 2010) [#4]
Try Recuva it's free http://www.piriform.com/recuva

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#5]
Do i need to format i first?

No, that will make it even less likely that you'll be able to recover anything.

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2010) [#6]
Which filesystem did you use? FAT?

I think I remember using FAT32, I think thats default right?

Recuva does not seem to work on non-formatted drives. But before I format it I want to make sure there is nothing else I can do. Thanks for the responses guys.

Canardian(Posted 2010) [#7]
When you format it, at least use the Quick Format option, so that it doesn't fill up the drive with FF or 00 bytes. Then you can still try some recovery.

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2010) [#8]
I tried a demo usb recovery software and it showed me the files but I could't revive them without paying 45 dollars. I would like to wait and see if anyone knows of any free software that does the same.

MikeHart(Posted 2010) [#9]
Ouch that is bad. I hope you can recover your work.

I have a time machine backup drive connected to my IMac which does the backup automatically.

Otus(Posted 2010) [#10]
Have you tried TestDisk?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#11]
I guess the bright side is you are a programmer and use redundancy when backing up, so nothing is lost. This is just an experiment, right?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#12]
PC Inspector SmartRecovery and PC Inspector File Recovery are free to use, and can often recover data:

http://www.pcinspector.de/SmartRecovery/info.htm?language=1

AJ00200(Posted 2010) [#13]
Yes. I second TestDisk and PhotoRec which comes with it (Open Source I beleive). It recovered all (as far as I know) of the pictures on my drive and word documents, text files on my drive after I installed Ubuntu over it.