Darn OEM Disks

Community Forums/General Help/Darn OEM Disks

AJ00200(Posted 2010) [#1]
I have am eMachines computer that came with an OEM disk for recovery.
I recently installed Ubuntu to my external hard-drive, or so I thought. It turns out that I installed over my Windows disk (Ouch) and I need a way to get Windows back so I can use Blitz3D, unless someone can find a way to get it to work in WINE.

The OEM disk doesn't do anything. And I know I have the proper boot order because the Ubuntu LiveCD starts just fine.
Is there any way I can get Windows XP back without buying it again?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Otus(Posted 2010) [#2]
If you have the serial, you should be able to use any OEM disk for the installation. Borrow one from a friend or get one through other means.

Canardian(Posted 2010) [#3]
Blitz3D works fine under Linux WINE, but only under Debian. I've tried it also under Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mint, no luck. You need to be careful though, as the Blitz3D IDE destroys line endings, so always keep a backup of every file you open in Blitz3D IDE.

AJ00200(Posted 2010) [#4]
I don't think I know anyone who has an OEM disk for WIndows XP, but I'll check around. I've been doing some reading about the recovery process and it mentions doing some stuff inside Windows Restore before starting with the OEM disk in. The probelm is, I don't have Windows.

Do you know why Blitz3D will not work under WINE on Ubuntu (it is Debian based)?

Shortwind(Posted 2010) [#5]
It's interesting that your OEM recovery disk will not start, but.....

Like Otus said, if you have the serial number sticker on the computer you "should" be able to use any windows xp disk.... except a upgrade disk....

big10p(Posted 2010) [#6]
Does the OEM disk boot on another PC?

Otus(Posted 2010) [#7]
If the default wine in Ubuntu cannot run Blitz3D (I think it at least used to), you could add the Wine Team PPA ( https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa ) to try a newer version.

There are checksums (e.g. MD5) floating around for most Windows CDs, so you could also use that to check if there really is something wrong with your copy.

AJ00200(Posted 2010) [#8]
Thanks for all your help. I'll check these things out.
Hopefully I can get Blitz3D running in Ubuntu.
Otherwise, I hope I can get a Windows XP install CD. Otherwise I have to go back to Windows 2000 :(.

Canardian(Posted 2010) [#9]
I think the next logical upgrade from XP (when all support ends in 2014-04-18) would be Windows 2003. It will reach 4 years further than XP, until 2018. Windows 2003 has also working 64-bit support, which XP's 64-bit version never had.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#10]
-Blitz3D works fine under Linux WINE, but only under Debian.

How did you get that working? does it go out of the box or did you need to install DX /harvest any dlls or anything?
pleeze tell because it is the only app i -need- windows for for personal use.

Canardian(Posted 2010) [#11]
It worked pretty much out of the box. I can try it again by making a new test user and run WINE with clean settings.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#12]
you need to go often into the boot-menu (comes on computer startup). From there you can run restore from an backup. The implemented boot-menu by system is meant, nothing some boot tools..

Go to the guy from wich you have buyed the machine. They (must?) give you a installable windows xp cd. Otherwise go on http://www.emachines.com/ and go on "About Us" -> "Contact Us" -> "E-Mail Technical Support".

AJ00200(Posted 2010) [#13]
Ok, I finally have this fixed.
The recovery disk was labeled "Recovery CD/DVD" and I was only putting it in my CD drive since that booted first. When I put it in my DVD drive, it worked just fine.
Thanks for all your help. :)
I have yet to try Blitz3D in WINE, but I sure do hope that it works without too much of a problem, beause it is the only Windows only program that I need to use and has no similar alternatives.

As a project (which I will most likely never finish), I plan to write a Python program to automatically port Blitz3D programs into Python code using Panda3D. This will surely help people make the step away from Windows to Linux, but sadly, if WINE does't work on all systems, they will have to leave Blitz3D behind and switch to Blitz Max.

Thanks again.