More Printer Problems (Multiple Users On 1 PC)

Community Forums/General Help/More Printer Problems (Multiple Users On 1 PC)

Matty(Posted 2010) [#1]
Good Afternoon,

I managed to fix an earlier problem with printing documents with a Lexmark (6200) P6250 Printer by installing the Vista 32 Bit driver. There is no Windows 7 Driver for this printer, but supposedly the Vista 32 Bit driver will work - and it does...kind of.

This PC has two user accounts, both of which are "Administrator" level, yet installing the printer driver while under one of these accounts will let me print from that account, but not the other.

If I install the printer driver also onto the other account then the other account can now print, but the original account ceases being able to print.

Is there some way I can install the printer driver so that it is accessible by both accounts?

It's a bit frustrating that a quality printer, despite being a couple of years old does not have its own Windows 7 driver.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
It's a bit frustrating that a quality printer....
I thought you said it was a Lexmark? ;)

Anyhoo... I haven't installed a printer driver for a couple years now and I don't remember ever attempting to use a printer from multiple accounts on the same PC.

You sure it isn't UAC getting a bit over-strict? It sounds like whichever account installs the driver, is taking ownership of it and not letting other accounts go near it.

Have you tried going into device manager, and updating the printer driver and manually selecting it?

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#3]
Is the printer "visible" to the 'unable-to-print' user? i.e. Does the Lexmark show up in the Printers folder and is it showing as online?

Unless a printer is set specifically as shared, multiple users (Admin or no) will not have the rights to print to it. The OS treats multiple users the same as networked users in cases like this.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#4]
I've given up on this...my parents are just going to buy a new printer for themselves...hopefully one that is designed to run on Windows 7..I guess Mr Microsoft won this battle.