My computer shutdown itself when i play a blitz.

Community Forums/General Help/My computer shutdown itself when i play a blitz.

Santiworld(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi, lately i having problems with my computer.

when i compile and run a game in blitz, my computer shotdown sometimes.

i have no warnings, no problems with temperatures, and it dosen't allways happen.

i have the problem with XP and W7.
I run memory test, Ubuntu with 7 or 8 steps, and no problems detected in the memory.

i use blitzbasic, fastextension, fastshadows, fastimage, partiblecandy, and using frametween for my games.

i disconect the network, and reinstall S.O., and the problems persist.

my computer is this :

micro AMD Quad 9950
mother asus M3N-HT-DELUXE
Mem 2 x 2gb
Video Nvidia GTX 260 - using dual monitors
POWER : 850w

Why the machine shuts down itself?.

Regards... Santiago

** EDIT ADD : now i install de Call of duty 4 and the machine shutdown in the game menu :(

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#2]
That's a toughie. Video drivers updated? (or if they were updated recently, did THAT cause it?)

Do you remember a certain day back when you didn't have this issue? perhaps trying a System Restore to that.

Also, are there any other kind of "symptoms"?

Shortwind(Posted 2010) [#3]
1. What version of the nvidia graphics drivers are you using? There are new drivers up there now. If you had the 196.75, there was a serious problem with those on some versions of the nvidia graphics cards.

2. Does it do this in ubuntu with any 3D games running nvidia drivers?

3. Can I assume it only shuts down when you play a 3D game?

I'm going for bad graphics drivers, or fried graphics card on this one. Let us know more information and we will see.

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2010) [#4]
Does your computer shutdown all the way or just restart? My dad had a random restarting problem and I just replaced the motherboard and it hasn't done it since.

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#5]
Do your computer really shutdown, or is just your monitor (check if there are still sound being played in the background...)? Could be you are using some refresh rate or resolution the monitor or your video card doesn't support?

markcw(Posted 2010) [#6]
IMHO, either your video card is borked or the video drivers are borked.

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#7]
Check the fan on your video card. Has it stopped turning or is it clogged with dust? My guess is your video card is overheating.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#8]
My guess is your video card is overheating.
Which would be happening if he has the buggy Nvidia drivers installed.

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2010) [#9]
He said he had no temp problems though, I vote motherboard.

Santiworld(Posted 2010) [#10]
hi...

i clean my computer all time, no dust in coolers...

i have the lastest nvidia drivers.

i read in internet, maibe is a power problem.

if i play Call of duty 4, the computer shutdown in a few seconds...

i umpluged the NVIDIA GTX 260, and i run the Cod4 with the ONBOARD video of the m3n ht deluxe, and the game work without problems...

i have 2 options :

OPTION 1 : THE POWER source is the problem. (powercooler PS 850 he)
OPTION 2 : THE VIDEO CAR IS THE PROBLEM. nvidia gtx 260.

1. What version of the nvidia graphics drivers are you using? There are new drivers up there now. If you had the 196.75, there was a serious problem with those on some versions of the nvidia graphics cards.
2. Does it do this in ubuntu with any 3D games running nvidia drivers?
3. Can I assume it only shuts down when you play a 3D game?
I'm going for bad graphics drivers, or fried graphics card on this one. Let us know more information and we will see.

Driver nvidia info 3/15/2010 lastet drivers.
driver version 8.17.11.9713

i only use ubuntu to test the memory.

3. YES!, i can write in blitz or IDEAL, can use windows without problems, only SHUTDOWN when i run a high 3d application. and i using 3dsmax without problems too. and windows movie makers whitout problems too.

Do your computer really shutdown, or is just your monitor (check if there are still sound being played in the background...)? Could be you are using some refresh rate or resolution the monitor or your video card doesn't support?

shutdown, i using 2 monitors samsung 955 (1280x1024) 75mhz dual mode

IMHO, either your video card is borked or the video drivers are borked.

maibe the video card, but works perfectly in windows OS, photoshop, 3d, blitz, movimaker, etc, and i can play blitz games many times, the video dosent work so well if is broken.

Check the fan on your video card. Has it stopped turning or is it clogged with dust? My guess is your video card is overheating.

no dust, but i don0t know what rpm have, and i don't know the video card temperature.
maibe i need to plug a small cable from video to motherboard to know the rpm fan.

-----------------------------------------------

how can i know the video temperature or rpm of video fan ?
have nvidia a tool for that?

how can i know if the power is ok?

when i umpluged the video, the machine works ok, so, maibe is because the power dosent need work so hard.

thanks for all answers!.

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2010) [#11]
I recommend
ExperTool
or
RivaTuner

markcw(Posted 2010) [#12]
Maybe your Nvidia GTX 260 is a bit duff (faulty) so it can't handle effects-heavy 3d games, like Cod4, but still works okay with less-demanding 3d. I'd agree it's overheating anyway.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#13]
He said he had no temp problems though, I vote motherboard.
Motherboard issues usually do not show up when the GPU is under heavy load (unless it is a power issue). Keep in mind the heat problems with Nvidia were the buggy drivers were not reporting the temp correctly and not kicking the fan into gear. If he used those drivers in the past, it could have damaged the GFX card so it would still malfunction even under new drivers.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#14]
Why the machine shuts down itself?.

How bad is the game your trying to run?

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#15]
How bad is the game your trying to run?

Hahaha that one drew some major giggles outta me; nice line.

Thareh(Posted 2010) [#16]
I had a problem with my Asus Formula II motherboard, my graphicscard was taking up too much space and therefore blocking a heatsink that the airflow usually covers.
So a chip on my motherboard overheated and the whole thing restarted randomly when playing games.
I put another fan in there just for that heatsink, and now it works fine :)
Check your board and see if any heatsink isn't getting proper cooling :P

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2010) [#17]
It sounds like a Power Supply (PSU) problem, one of my old computers did this whenever I played a 3d Game (it was fine otherwise), as soon as I replaced the faulty PSU the computer worked perfectly.

ZJP(Posted 2010) [#18]
Hi,

Watch the temperature with a tool (Gpu-Z). If acceptable, it is a problem of supply.

JP

Shambler(Posted 2010) [#19]
I would try manually setting the graphics cards fan to full speed and see if that cures it. I have to do this with my 8800GT when playing any hi-end 3D game otherwise it's crash and reboot time.

I use NVTune to set it.

Santiworld(Posted 2010) [#20]
Hi, thanks for all comments.

i'm shure there is a supply problem.

i read this in the web about my power supply:

is a chine generic supply product, and in my country are imported and sell at 280 dolars, now there are many people with problems like me.

i'm going to buy a new power supply, "SILENT PRO 500", my only fear is the watts, because i have a gtx 260 + amd phenom 9950.

i only use this video card for max and blitz, i never use OC, and always play in 1024x768 at maximun resolution.

the mother work perfect withot the nvidia 260, i run the cod4 with the mother video, and works ok. so there is no mother problem.

i run the GPU-z, i test the cooler speed and temp, nothing to report, the cooler works perfectly.

im shure about the problem, is the supply, i buy it because in that time, this supply was highly recommended here in argentine.

at soon i change the supply , i'm going to comment here if the problem was the supply.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#21]
500Watt does seem a tad low powered in a modern computer... If nothing else, you may want to consider future upgradability.

(Of course, a *good* 500W powersupply still beats a crappy 700W supply)

Jason W.(Posted 2010) [#22]
What driver version are you using?

This might be your problem:

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/108047/nvidia-driver-issue

Jason