Anyone used FreeLancer.com?

Community Forums/General Help/Anyone used FreeLancer.com?

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey!

I've been poking around for some jobs online, to improve my
somewhat non existant income, and came upon this site.

http://www.freelancer.com/

Looks pretty nifty, but before I sign up for it I wanted to see if
any of you have ever used it, and what your opinion on it is ;)

Thanks in advance!

dynaman(Posted 2010) [#2]
From what I can tell it does not appear to be a scam. Watch out for the scammers that lurk the site though (I will pay you a dollar tomorrow for a hamburger today...), they try to get around the site's rules for handling transactions.

My main problem with it is that for the coding jobs the amount paid would not be worth the effort in time for me.

jd269(Posted 2010) [#3]
I've used Odesk.com successfully as a buyer and seller, same sort of site, they require someone's credit card (and credit limit) to hire someone for a job. Pay was terrible, but actually looks better than freelancer.com.

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#4]
I've done a job through Elance. It worked out fairly well, but like with the last two posts the amounts being offered are not enough for what they want. Seems like a good way for cash-strapped companies to connect with outsource workers in India and Russia.

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#5]
Seems like a good way for cash-strapped companies to connect with outsource workers in India and Russia.

lol!

Are there any sites you can think of where I could get some decent pay,
since that seems to be the main problem with this one?

Or would I have to go get an actual job somewhere...

Sauer(Posted 2010) [#6]
Or would I have to go get an actual job somewhere...

Probably your best bet for any sort of serious/contiguous income.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2010) [#7]
Some other sites you may want to try are:

www.guru.com
www.rentacoder.com
www.liveperson.com

All three sites have heavy traffic coming into them!
But beware, some of the buyers are very impatient.
I've lost at least four good paying clients due to the fact that I couldn't deliver thier game within their timeframe.

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#8]
Ty for the list Amanda Dearheart. Investigating now!

DH(Posted 2010) [#9]
Seems like a good way for cash-strapped companies to connect with outsource workers in India and Russia.

That's usually how it goes. You get outbid by Indian companies at extremely low figures.

On the other side of the fence, I worked for a couple companies that actually outsourced to those same Indian developers. They low ball you to get the job, get it overly complex and embed their own job security into it. Quite genius, but morally questionable.

Why0Why(Posted 2010) [#10]
I have used elance a number of times. I have hired both local and foreign devs with mixed results. I would recommend elance if you bid fairly. I have been in a couple of cash strapped startups and I would not choose an Indian developer if a local dev was even in the ballpark due to communication issues and time differences.

A current project that I have outsourced, which is fairly large in scope, has been a nightmare. But many of the US devs wanted me to pay them thousands of dollars just to look at the existing code before even getting an estimate.

Many Indian devs are $15-$30 an hour. If you don't have income, then bid $20 hour, much better than you would make at a local job and get a portfolio and client base all at the same time.

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#11]
@Why0Why ok, thanks!
I think I'll give freelance a try and see how things work out, since any
income is better than none ;)