Geographic Marketing Misconceptions

Community Forums/General Help/Geographic Marketing Misconceptions

Retimer(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm working on parternships for distributions in other countries for a project, with language translations as a tryout just to see how things go in other countries.

I have always perceived north americans as 'dumb spenders' (I fall into that catagory, don't be offended), tossing $50 into a game like money grows on trees.

Now being in north america, I can't judge eastern countries without ignorance.

Can anyone shed some light on the spending habbits of some of the countries over there? Are they more stingy (intelligent) with their money or are they like the majority over here, spending rent/mortgage money on local entertainments?

For some reason I always imagined people in Turkey, or Sweden, or poland, france, china, australia as being 'cheap' online, due to environments of economic differences and different values of the dollar, but I really have no clue, and I would certainly not like to label or misjudge a marketing opportunity without the know.

Appreciate any info.

Time

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#2]
Money does grow on trees. ;)

I don't know if I would classify it as "dumb" spenders. People spend money on whatever floats their boat. There is no right or wrong thing to spend money on. The only time I would judge someone on their spending habits, is if they are spending money on frivolous things and unable to pay their rent, buy food for their kids, etc...

But, if you are taking care of your financial responsibilities, then I say have at it with the rest of your money. You only live once!

Sorry, not trying to derail your thread, I know this doesn't really have anything to do with your question, but if you are going to throw a little commentary into your posts, you have to expect to get responses on it.

Retimer(Posted 2010) [#3]
Yep, no worries. I say 'dumb spenders' because a lot of people are classified by what you say you judge.

I know when I joined some financial advisor (until I lost interest in screwing people over with sketchy promises) meetings in Canada, it was mentioned that the average canadian spends somewhere around 1.4 dollars for every dollar earned...that's dumb spending, and clearly compulsive spending.

I would consider most virtual currency/app purchases as compulsive spending, which is why I ask ;) The more you learn the more you earn.

Time