Do PS3 Xbox 360 games have DRM? ie re second-hand

Community Forums/General Help/Do PS3 Xbox 360 games have DRM? ie re second-hand

puki(Posted 2010) [#1]
I haven't bought a second-hand PC game for a couple of years, in fear that it would not work due to DRM; however, I note that there is a huge market in second-hand console games - so, do they have any DRM that locks them to a particular console/account, etc in the way that a PC game can?

Snixx(Posted 2010) [#2]
Some have keys or some kinda account you gotta create and auth the game to it (multiplayer). But for single player no and even most multiplayer ones dont.

puki(Posted 2010) [#3]
Yippee!!!

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#4]
I have NEVER seen an XBox 360 game that you buy in a store that locks it to a particular console or account.

Now, all of the XBox Live games are tied to your XBox Live Account, but that just makes sense. If you delete one of them off of your XBox, you can download it again for free.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2010) [#5]
Yeah, all 360 and Wii games run just fine from the disk and don't require anything else. A good job as the rental market is pretty big. The only time you need the internet is if they've added in patches and/or extra content but I've never had a game that didn't run fine out of the box. For me the fact that you can rent and you know the game will work first time, everyt time is one of the main reasons I've mostly switched to consoles.

There's also a healthy trade in second hand games on E-bay.

Darkheart

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#6]
Not yet, but knowing Sony and Microsoft it is only a matter of time.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2010) [#7]
It would be a stone around the neck of any console maker that tried it, consoles are seen as more disposable, easier and cheaper to replace than to fix, compared to PCs... it would lead to a sh*t storm of tsunami proportions IMHO. I've had 3 360s, if I had to replace all my games each time, I would no be a happy-chappy at all.

Sledge(Posted 2010) [#8]
But for single player no
Yeah, all 360 and Wii games run just fine from the disk and don't require anything else.
That's not strictly true. See the special edition(s) of AC2*, which come with a redemption code for the extra content rather than it being on the disc. Anyone buying the special edition 2nd hand won't be getting the special edition, unless you consider slightly different box-art the chief component.

*I'm referring to the 360 version BTW, but I expect the PS3 does likewise.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2010) [#9]
Sledge, I didn't know that was the case with AC2 Special Edition, all the attention was on the giant kick in the butt that PC's users got.

Darkheart

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#10]
Now consoles are becoming more and more "required to connect to the internet", it wouldn't suprise me if DRM eventually reaches the same kinda lrevels and associated "problems" that we have with PC software today.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#11]
The good thing about the PS3 games i've bought when i had no internet, they include the system update software on them, so your not required to connect to the internet. I think it was Soul Calibur IV i got, and it said i needed the latest system software to play it. I didn't have the internet, and didn't realise the update was on the disc :)

Tbh, if console makers are smart, they will steer clear of always connected to internet DRM. It surely must be driving (at least some) people away from PC gaming and onto consoles. It won't be such an appealing concept if consoles follow suit, i wouldn't think.

Another issue though. Hackers do like a challenge. So if a AAA title comes out without DRM and one comes out with it. Surely the hackers are more likely to want to hack, and spread as many copies of the DRM protected game, than the non protected game?

(I do love how hacker who pirate games, claim it's for a greater cause, other than wanting to play the game for free :D)