Motherboard+processor bundle?

Community Forums/General Help/Motherboard+processor bundle?

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#1]
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/191653

This is what i've narrowed it down to. Is this a decent bundle? I'll need to obviously buy more memory, but pricewise, it's pretty much in my area. I'm looking to do mainly video editing, hopefully in HD, if the system can handle it.

Any drawbacks anyone can see? For those who don't want to click the link:

AMD Athlon 630 Bundle Deal Including:
Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz AM3 Retail Box Processor
Asus M4A785TD-M EVO 785G Motherboard
Generic 2GB DDR3 1333 Memory
+ Free Dirt 2 Download Voucher!

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
Seems pretty good for the price. Board seems fairly futureproof (for now) too.

With a decent mid-range graphics card you shouldn't have any trouble at all editing video with that. Another 2GB of RAM wouldn't be a bad idea, though.

+ Free Dirt 2 Download Voucher!
Um.... cor?? (I have no idea what that is).

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#3]
Nope, me neither :S I fully intend to get more RAM though, perhaps some branded stuff? Anyway, thanks for advice, i'll buy that when i get home :D

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#4]
Dirt 2 is a great offroad racing game. Fairly new (6 months or so).

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#5]
With RAM I would go for reliability over speed. If you're on a pre-vista system such as XP, then 2G should be adequate, but 3G is never a bad thing.

So long as you have a good 600W + PSU and your case os sufficiently cooled, then the above should do well.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#6]
With RAM I would go for reliability over speed. If you're on a pre-vista system such as XP, then 2G should be adequate, but 3G is never a bad thing.

So long as you have a good 600W + PSU and your case os sufficiently cooled, then the above should do well.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#7]
I'm doing video editing so i'll go with 3 GB. Gives me less waiting.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#8]
Just a little update. I saved like £15 by purchasing those part seperately, rather than in the bundle package they give you, AND i got Crucial branded memory, rather than the unbranded stuff. The stupid thing was, the motherboard wasn't even assembled, is was just a bundle of seperate products...

So i bundle cost £205...

I got the bundle, swapped the memory for better stuff, and a coolermaster case (ex display), for £228 INC delivery. Just shows you. What a rip off eh?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#9]
Not really a ripoff.... just pays to weigh up all the options. :)

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#10]
Well, i consider it a bit of a rip off. I can understand the justification for the extra £15 if ebuyer actually DID something, like package them, or assemble it. I can't see in any other circumstance, combining multiple products, on a shopping list only, and charging more for it.

"Ebuyer bundle deals are designed to give you the best components at the best price."

Yeah...

Anyway, if they make money off it, fair enough. Just don't advertise it as "the best price"

degac(Posted 2010) [#11]
Well, I'm tempeted to buy (no bundle offers here!) a Phenom II X7 955 + your motherboard + Ati HD5770...I'm looking around for the 'right price'!

Otus(Posted 2010) [#12]
@Ross C

I have the same processor and have been very happy with it. The Athlon II X4 processors are by far the best value out there right now.

Did you get 3GB of RAM? Even more wouldn't hurt - I often see well over 50% use with 4GB and I don't even do video editing. Over 3GB needs a 64-bit OS though...

@degac

There are two different steppings of P2 955 out there: C2 and C3. The latter is said to use less power and overclock better despite both having 125W TPD. An even newer version with 95W TDP is rumored to come soon.

degac(Posted 2010) [#13]
@Otus - thanks for the advice!

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#14]
Yeah Otus, unfortunately i have Windows XP, it's not a 64 bit edition (if one existed?), so i think 3 GB is the max i can really go. Hope to get windows 7 and upgrade the RAM then. Thanks for the processor recommendation though. nice to know i bought summit decent. I did look at some reviews of it, so i'm pleased. Nice to see the mobo has a normal PCI slot on it too, for my sound card :)

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#15]
There IS a 64-bit version of windows XP, I can't comment on it, though.

Techinically, 4G is the maximum amount of RAM recognised by XP (at least, 32-bit version), but since some of this is l;ocked to system processes and stuff, you will only have just over 3G actually available to 'use' at the most.
(For me, this works out at about 3.3 Gb, which is still better than 2 of course, but maybe not worth the 4th ;)

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#16]
Ah, thanks. I knew there was some kind of limit to the memory, in that you couldn't access the full 3 GB. I'll go with 3 :) Regarding the 64 bit XP, wasn't there alot of problems with drivers and such?

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#17]
I hthink, but dont quote me, that it wont accept 'unsigned' drivers.

Plus there are possibly software compatibility issues, but I think mostly they've been ironed out between the respective companies since.
It's not really been something I've looked at as it's never bohered me, but here and there I do recall seeing some issues cropping up time and time again.

degac(Posted 2010) [#18]
O.K. I made it... my new computer is running (and I'm writing from it right now!): AMD Phenom II X4 955(c3) - 4GB RAM corsair - ATI HD 5770 - Gibabyte MA785GT-UD3H.
Everything is flying now!
Computer is very silent.... oh I'm feeling like a child at Christmas!

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#19]
Yep! Me too. It's mighty fast and alot quieter too!

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#20]
Regarding the 64 bit XP, wasn't there alot of problems with drivers and such?

Yes -- XP x64 is very poorly supported by most of the hardware manufacturers -- this is the OS version that is more likely to give you compatibility issues than any other out of the microsoft line-up.

On top of that you may run into application issues: XP64 is before mainstreamx64 systems hit the streets, so many application developers didn't bother to properly account for the difference between it and the 32-bit XP version, which stops some apps in their tracks.