Good Documentation Creator?

Community Forums/General Help/Good Documentation Creator?

Uncle(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello All,

I was wondering if any of you guys could suggest a documentation creation tool. You know the kinda thing. You type in a brief description above each method, and a program reads the source code and churns out a nice html file which is used for documentation. I've see hotdocs, but that seems to be for modules only. I was looking for something similar to code2doc which works on single bmx files? Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Unc

Ked(Posted 2010) [#2]
In my opinion, I'd just create my own. A pretty amazing set of HTML, CSS, etc. code can be found here: http://www.w3schools.com/

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#3]
Doxygen is good for C/c++/c#/Java type languages. I thought there was a similar jobby for blitz called BlitzDocs or somehing.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#4]
Temporarily make it a module just to produce the documentation :) (can you do that?)

Uncle(Posted 2010) [#5]
Thanks guys for all the good suggestions :)

Unfortunately I don't have the time to write my own, and I didn't want to have to change my code to a module every time I wanted to create documentation. That's why I was looking for a generic tool. I was hoping this was a common requirement and that someone somewhere had a solution.

I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything.

Cheers.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2010) [#6]
not sure its the correct thing your looking for but WinCHM is simple to use but produces some very acceptable results.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#7]
Why do you have one big file anyway? One file per class/structure with same name is much better, cleaner and easy to manage.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#8]
it is not just a big file. CHM Files contains structured html/css files. You can see CHM as specification to store documents structured for fast finding. It includes search indexes etc.

Just renember the big CHM files from the second MSDN CD-ROM (1998/1999). One CHM file had about 90 MB (!).

I think chm is the best specification MicroSoft ever created... it has a bit LZX compression in it, too

UPDATE: ok chm is not the best for programmable source codes. There are better tools available (see upper postings).

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#9]
I wasnt talking about the docfile i was talking about uncle's codefile.

Uncle(Posted 2010) [#10]
@ D4NM4N

I do have my one file per type (or group of types) because as you say its neater that way :)

Started to write my own quick and dirty doc generator in the meantime.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#11]
Ahh... from your original post it sounded like you wanted a help parser to parse "single bmx files" :D

Have a look at how doxygen does it's markup because i believe there is a pseudo-standard format that a lot of these things use.

eg "///", "/**", "**/", "*\param"

so in max you could use "'''" for example.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2010) [#12]
Doc generator/parser is the way I go... I generate indexed HTML files for my code.

Just stick some tokens in the in the comments for a command notes, command, params, grouping and 'see-also'.

If done well, just commenting your code produces almost free documentation, that can usually be imported into a CHM compiler if need be.

Funny enough GLBasic has this built into the IDE ;)

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#13]
My windows XP used to natively open CHM (meaning, if I tried to open it, it would already "compile" and open up a help window with all the topics listed and everything).
Now I don't know why, it doesn't recognizes them anymore, and I have to use CHM Workshop to view them.

big10p(Posted 2010) [#14]
Kryzon: I believe there were associated security risks with CHM files so a windows update has probably killed them. I think they've been superceded by a new format now, too.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#15]
Thanks for the info :)

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#16]
security risks with CHM? :D

The CHM does not contain about potentialy leaks or/and user-right-management.

by the way... bad implementation does not mean bad specification. CHM is a good piece of help documentation system based mostly on XML & HTML compressed with LZX.

Uncompressed there are only ACSII readable text files. And images (normaly .jpg or .pcx/.bmp).

I think CMH does work on windows vista + windows 7 without problems. Oh.. the help system does the job here (win 7). Update: images are rendered per HTML. The display engine on standard windows is Word or Internet Explorer. Do you have a word trojan working? Or is it a (bad) word macro (VB?)?

Result @ Kryzon: The bug is a system fault produced by user front of the screen.

big10p(Posted 2010) [#17]
Yes, ShadowTurtle, a security risk. Google it.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#18]
damn bad M$.