Protean help

Community Forums/General Help/Protean help

Jaydubeww(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey guys, I thought I would give Protean a chance because well, ever so often I get in an urge to try and program a game again. Specifically, this is for Blitz3D.

Thanks guys, I just couldn't figure these out while fiddling with it.

A few questions:
1. How do you enable word "recognition"? Ie. it seems only a few words automatically capitalize and change colors, like "While" and "Wend". This is specifically helpful to a blitz newbie like me.

2. How do you access the blitz "help files" that are normally accessed by hitting the "home" button in the normal blitz3D IDE?

3. Drag and drop features? I thought I read about it having drag and drop features like Visual Studio?

4. Could someone explain how to use "project files"? How exactly do you add a new blitz file to it?

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#2]
1. How do you enable word "recognition"? Ie. it seems only a few words automatically capitalize and change colors, like "While" and "Wend".

I've been using IDEal but one day I tried out Protean... and hated it for the very reason that I couldn't enable it. I recommend IDEal http://www.fungamesfactory.com/

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2010) [#3]
IDEal has many useful goodies and is very easy to learn, I highly recommend it too, though I have never tried Protean.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#4]
Protean is pretty much obsolete now - if you find anything wrong with the IDE then your chances of ever seeing it fixed, are zero.

I'd recommend using almost anything else.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#5]
protean was my number one ide for blitz 3d until I discovered IDEal, have nto looked back. IDEal starts a little quicker than Protean as well.

Jaydubeww(Posted 2010) [#6]
I actually tried IDEal about a year ago and I did find it very useful, I just thought I would try out Protean. Although the Blitz scan codes and the alphabetical keyword list is VERY nice in Protean. Although IDEal might have these, its just been so long since i've used it.

Thanks guys, I guess ill be using IDEal again.

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2010) [#7]
Although IDEal might have these

Ya it's great, all you have to do in IDEal is right click<>insert scan-code<> then hit the key and it puts it in for you. It also works with RGB values and file paths.

Jaydubeww(Posted 2010) [#8]
Does IDEal have any known problems with Vista? Because well, when ever I try and create a new file, IDEal crashes on me. Help?

Jaydubeww(Posted 2010) [#9]
Actually, the blitz3D IDE crashes when I create a new file...thoughts?

Maybe it's because I dont have the correct version of DirectX.

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#10]
Do you have any userlibs? I had a problem with IDEal where one of my decls files had two lines with the same function in it. Every time I tried to start a new file or save one, it would give me an error(it didn't crash though, it just wouldn't let me do anything). After I removed the duplicate line, it went fine.

Jaydubeww(Posted 2010) [#11]
None at all. I reinstalled it and still the same problem.

Floyd(Posted 2010) [#12]
Have you updated Blitz3D? Maybe the problem has already been fixed.

I also remember seeing reports of conflicts with Wacom tablets. If you have one try looking for a driver update, or perhaps temporarily uninstalling it.

There is also the "you need to turn off UAC" advice that is so popular.

This is all guesswork as I don't have Vista.

Jaydubeww(Posted 2010) [#13]
Thank you! I turned off the UAC and it worked!