Printing to a LexMark 6200 in Windows 7

Community Forums/General Help/Printing to a LexMark 6200 in Windows 7

Matty(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello,

My parents have just bought themselves a new PC, with Windows 7 installed. They are trying to use their existing printer, which the drivers seem to be correctly installed, using a USB connection. The printer seems to be detected correctly, yet nothing, not even a test page, will print.

I'm not familiar with windows 7 (have only used XP and below) and am finding it very difficult to get this thing to print.

I do not even know how to bring up the 'about' screen on a menu to see what version of windows (32bit or 64bit) is being used...all the standard functionality I'm familiar with seems to be gone...and the security settings from are frustrating as well...but I digress...

Does anyone know of have an idea of how to print using a USB connection to a printer, for which the drivers are installed, on Windows 7?

Also - if possible I'd prefer to just have to switch some settings, not re-install / uninstall drivers as I'm not confident enough with this new-fangled os.

from Matt
Thanks.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#2]
Note strangely enough I can scan documents but just cannot print them at all???

DavidDC(Posted 2010) [#3]
Things I'd try

Hold down the printer self test buttons and make sure it prints at all. Your printer manual (which you should be able to download) will tell you which these are.

Switch USB ports
Fully power down (as in unplug) printer
Check paper OK
Check toner OK
(maybe) check USB cable (try a different one)

Then I guess I'd do something like:

Start->Control Panel->System (Or windows key + pause)
Check your OS version (32 x 64)
Go to Lexmark site and download the right driver package and unpack it to desktop
Start->Devices and Printers and right click on your printer
Printer Properties->Advanced->New Driver->Have Disk and steer to your fresh driver download and install

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#4]
Maybe the driver just isn't compatible? Can you run the driver or printer in compatibility mode?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#5]
Is it set as the default printer?

Matty(Posted 2010) [#6]
Thanks all,
I eventually found that the Lexmark Site doesn't have a Windows 7 driver for this printer (we were using the one that came on the CD which was XP/2000) but that, from browsing various forums we'd need to uninstall our printer drivers and then reinstall the Vista 32 Bit printer drivers for this printer, and now it prints as it used to on XP..hooray.