Buying new computer parts

Community Forums/General Help/Buying new computer parts

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey guys. I'm looking to buy my computer, piece by piece, cause i'm skint... Anyway! I'm going to get myself a motherboard bundle:

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=34882&category_id=491&manufacturer_id=0&tid=

Decentish price. I already have a gfx card i bought from cygus - Geforce 8800 GT OCX 512mb. Now, the problem is, i'm a bit behind the times with the technology.

Can anyone point me to a power supply that that cover all this. In addition to the the above, i will have a sound card and two hard drives, and a dvd drive.

I mainly ask, because last time i bought a motherboard bundle, the power supply didn't have the right connector for it etc etc

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
I mainly ask, because last time i bought a motherboard bundle, the power supply didn't have the right connector for it etc etc
PSUs will be either 20 or 24 pin. In either case you can buy an adapter (from CCL) for about £2 or something. Or the same thing for a tenner in PC World if you like.

I'd probably get a minimum 700W PSU for that kit. I gather the 8800GT is a bit of a greedy beast. You won't need that much but a PSU that's just plodding along is going to last a lot longer than a smaller one that's blatting away at 100% constantly.

[edit] After a close look, that motherboard needs a 24-pin PSU.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#3]
I'm looking to buy my computer, piece by piece, cause i'm skint..

Then you shouldn't buy it piece by piece: It's actually cheaper to buy a pre-assembled PC than it is to buy the individual pieces these days, thanks to the razor thin margins & large quanity discounts that the major computer vendors get from the manufacturer.

Especially after you factor in the cost of the OS, you can't beat the majority of pre-assembled systems in price...

(The major advantage of assembling a computer from scratch is that you can cherry-pick which individual components you want -- but price is not it anymore. Warranty is a much bigger hassle with parts though, when you buy a pre-assembled machine there's just one manufacturer involved and they can't really shift the blame)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#4]
Warranty is a much bigger hassle with parts though, when you buy a pre-assembled machine there's just one manufacturer involved and they can't really shift the blame)
For what its worth, I returned a 'dead'* PSU to CCL some years ago under warranty. They just replaced it with a brand new one - no waiting for testing, no funny looks, no questions asked.

* I later found out it probably wasn't even dead - the PC's owner had bodged a load of old newspapers or something down the back of the PC, causing thermal protection to kick in and kill the power. Removing the mains plug to change the supposedly blowing fuse was just what was needed to get things going again. People, eh? :/

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#5]
I'm not keen on pre-assembled PC's, from companies. They usually pile a load of software, and a restore disc, that sometimes you need to pay for if your computer crashes. If i build it from parts, then i can put what i want on it. I know you can always wipe the manufactures stuff off it, but still.

I'm not technically skint, i just can't afford to buy the whole thing outright, in 2 months.

[EDIT] CCLonline just lost out on a sale. They don't let you edit your billing address online, and since i've moved house... well, it's a bit useless :( Plus, you have to get the parcel sent to the billing address upon changing. Ah well, i got everything i needed from amazon :D

Cheers again!