Comp restarts when trying to disable internet con

Community Forums/General Help/Comp restarts when trying to disable internet con

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey there. I'm having a rather irritating problem here. I'm doing some video editing on my PC, and i'm disabling as many things as possible to make the process a bit quicker, and free up as much RAM as possible.

However, my computer keeps restarting itself, everytime i try to alter any of the properties of the active internet connection, such as disabling it. I've tried everything i can think off. Disabled all power related features in the BIOS, tried just disabling the internet connection with all programs normally loaded...

Nothing seems to work, and i don't seem to have any virus(es?) Using Malwarebytes, AVG 9.

Any suggestions?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
Do you see any related errors in the windows event viewer logs?

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#3]
This seems to have come up alot in the peroid of today when i noticed the problem.

Source: avg9emc

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( avg9emc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

Also, i noticed this (happened on the 28th FEB):

Source: Userenv

Windows saved user HOME-6944EEBDEB\Ross registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I'm not sure, but does this mean that is could be a registry problem? Seems odd...

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#4]
I noticed that when I kill certain processes which I dislike in the task manager they try and shut down the computer... I dont know why this may be but it sounds like it may be similare to your problem? Maybe a program is running that that doesnt want you tampering with its internet connection? Also have you tried safe mode? with and without networking?

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#5]
Perhaps...

cmmgr32.exe is an executable that seems to be missing, and windows seems to be trying to access it. Maybe disconnecting the internet connection, somehow causes windows to try and load the connection manager?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#6]
something else to consider: is this new behaviour, or were you still able to stop those network connections in the recent past?

If the latter, then you may be able to just do a system restore to a point in time before it broke... Often actually figuring out what caused it.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#7]
Yeah, i could do that. I know it worked at some point. Only problem is, i don't remember the last time i actually wanted, or did, disable my internet connection... Anyway, i'll just pull the ethernet wire from the back of my PC. :) Thanks for your help guys.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#8]
Soudns odd.

As for cmmgr you can try running SFC /scannow

Since AVG installs low level drivers to enable it to hook in to the internet connections, I imagine that there's some issue with those. You may want to disable the AVG drivers in Hardware manager first, and the AVG services (at least, set them to something other than 'Automatic' ?

Finally, uninstalling AVG temporarily may be an option too.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#9]
It looks like it Malice... I'm just stuck with pulling the wire out the back, method. Very technical, it is!