Anyone moved a tortoise SVN repository acroos PCs?

Community Forums/General Help/Anyone moved a tortoise SVN repository acroos PCs?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#1]
Just wondering if anyone has successfully moved SVN repositories across PCs ? I.m going to download Tortoise SVN for my newPC and see if I can simply transfer the Tortoise Directory across......

nawi(Posted 2010) [#2]
I'd prefer git after seeing this talk from Linus himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#3]
Hmm, I'm still gonna try tortoise as I've a lot of stuff in it. Will review git though - thanks for the link.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#4]
You can just copy the directory but if I were doing this myself I would use svnAdmin to do it.
svnadmin dump repositoryname > dumpfilename

...then on your new PC...
svnadmin load newrepositoryname < dumpfilename

I use svnadmin dump (from a batchfile) on a daily basis to create repository backups.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#5]
@GfK, thanks for that, I'd just copied my 1.33GByte Tortoise directory straight to USB stick from my old PC with Ctrl+C then V....

I've seen a batchfile once at work (I was a part time Unix Sys Admin person/coder/scripter turned to the dark side - and oh it is dark - as a sys analyst for a Windows system) on a Windows system. Don't suppose you'd be willing to post a small sample of the kind of batch file that'd perform the magic of a daily back up ?

But, what I was going to ask is what is the advantage of using (DOS prompt?) cmd line stuff in windows - is it via a terminal window provided by SVN ? Sorry if I ask too much.

Caught the first 10 mins of Linus's talk, desperate to see if a simple Ctrl+C,V will work - but am glad to have a back up plan provided by GfK.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#6]
My batchfile is pretty much what I posted above (one line!). I just run it manually at the end of the day and it does a backup.

svnAdmin does not come with TortoiseSVN - you have to install Subversion to be able to use it. TortoiseSVN does cater for most needs and the UI takes the agony out of it, but there are some things it can't do. Its handy to know your way around some of the cmd stuff as well.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#7]
Surprisingly... what GfK says... :-p

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#8]
Thanks peeps, my initial stab that really smacks of RTFM to be honest, has resulted in a pop up GUI that informs me that TSVN can't open a file ....\.svn\lock':Access is denied.

Now that you mention it GfK, I recall being more well read in my youth, err 3 years ago - and I vaguely recall installing the Subversion in my old PC. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my medio-ocre age.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#9]
Here are three suggestions:

1)Try running cleanup.

2)Under Settings/General/Context Menu, there is a checkbox option for adding Release Lock" to the context menu. Enable this, then try right-clicking the offending locked resources and Releasing them.

3)as a last resort, - and I don't wanna be responsible for any damage so take this with extreme caution - you may wanna just Cancel the TSVNCache process in your task manager, then delete the 'offending' directory (assuming any needed data is backed up) - specifically, the .svn dir needs deleting