downloads slowing down to a halt

Community Forums/General Help/downloads slowing down to a halt

Wiebo(Posted 2010) [#1]
I have this problem on a number of servers, for instance Blide.org. My download of the new update starts quick, but slows down to a crawl until I have to stop it and retry. Updating software can be a pain this way. I also have the problem when I use svn to checkout brucey's wxMax module. Starts of quick, then slows down and stops. This problem does not happen with all downloads...

Has anyone experienced this before and is there a fix? Maybe something in my IP settings? As other downloads from other websites work well, it's obviously not a problem with my internet connection.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#2]
Maybe your ISP is throttling your bandwidth?

Wiebo(Posted 2010) [#3]
I don't think so. Why would they throttle my downloadspeed from wxmax.googlecode.com? Like I said, I don't have this problem with all web sites. Speedtest.net also tells me I have a 10mbit downloadspeed...

Also, I can download your wxmax 1.01 zip in seconds. However, the svn is not working for me. I am trying several days now to checkout the code. the zip file is no good for me.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#4]
Does the SVN use anything different than port 80?

Wiebo(Posted 2010) [#5]
According to the IP standard, it should be using tcp/udp port 3690.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#6]
AFAIK ISP throttling doesnt usually involve stalling completely.

It could be a network card on the blink, try updating all the drivers etc or change the card. I had this problem once and it seemed to stall after a while, but the weird thing is it only happened randomly (i could hit the same site again and it would be fine).

When i looked more closely there were loads of collisions going on and the traffic seemed to be pulsing between 0 and high, each time it dropped out to 0 the lengths of time were longer.

Getting the right driver fixed it for me. I also had an almost similar problem using linux once, but i changed the card and it was fine after.

EDIT:
I noticed afterwards you say a number of servers, what do they all have in common? Are they all the same make model (see above) or do they share a switch, proxy or router that could be dodgy? Do they talk to each other ok or is it just the non-LAN stuff? Also, what does the traffic graphs look like when it is playing up?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#7]
I've seen this happen with a flaky network cable -- everything appears fine, but once you actually have a lot of data going back and forth things grind to a halt.

Do you have the same problem with things like streaming video (youtube, etc.)?
Do you get 'normal' looking values when you run a network speed test, like http://www.speedtest.net?

TCP/IP has its own rate-throttling built in, so varying conditions can have a great impact on throughput speeds over time.

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#8]
I had these issues when using a router.

Wiebo(Posted 2010) [#9]
k, thanks folks, I'll check out your tips... Maybe the router is the problem, as I had to reset it a few times the last weeks.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#10]
Hehe good place to start. In my experience unless it is a (industrial)netgear or cisco, they only seem to liveup to a month or three past their 1 year warranties.
-funny that.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#11]
Oh, as long as you're looking at the router: Check to see if you can view the connected wireless devices, and/or the current bytes in/out that are happening.

It's possible that one of your neighbors is piggy-backing on your wifi link and drowning out your own traffic by having a million bittorrent links open.