Porting Blitz3D to C++

Community Forums/General Help/Porting Blitz3D to C++

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi, is there some kind of Blitz3D command to C++ equivalent command chart somewhere?

*(Posted 2010) [#2]
there is a cunning thing called the Blitz3dSDK that works on C++

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#3]
There is no equivalent in C++ to many Blitz3D commands, because C++ is a general purpose programming language, and does not feature gaming/multimedia functionality. If you want to port a Blitz3D program which uses any of those commands, you will need a library of some kind to handle audio, input and graphics. This could be one library for all, one for each or some other combination.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#4]
I recreated many of the useful base language functions, especially regarding strings while i was "re-introducing" myself to c++. They are over on blitzmonkeys in the c++ section somewhere.
For the graphics stuff you a)need an engine and b)need to wrap their functions/classes to behave like b3d's.

B3dSDK is your best bet but unfortunately it is very much windows/dx7 only. You could wait for me to finish EasyLight which is a little bit... blitzish but is a LONG way from being finished, and at the moment is only any use to myself (or those experienced in Irrlicht & C++).

GW(Posted 2010) [#5]
Xors3d also mimics nearly all of the B3d commandset and can be used from c++

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#6]
there is a cunning thing called the Blitz3dSDK that works on C++

I can't seem to find a clear definition of what that is. I spent the hundred bucks for Blitz3D and I've been studying it for over a year now, what's the SDK? Is it supposed to have better longevity than plain old Blitz3D or something? I'd really rather not change languages at all unless I have to.

skidracer(Posted 2010) [#7]
The SDK is for advanced users that have outgrown the language limitations of Blitz3D but want to keeping using the 3D engine.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#8]
Download MiniB3D, read the source and implement it in C++, using OpenGL.

MiniB3D is an OpenGL version of the easy to use B3D command set and interface. Therefore, it can be ported to any language that enables OpenGL access.