Editing midis

Community Forums/General Help/Editing midis

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi, does anyone know of some good free midi editing programs? I just thought of a way to finally fix my music looping bug. Since midis are so small, I can just make extremely long midis! That way almost no one will ever hear the break unless they stay in the level it's playing for a really long time.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
Since midis are so small, I can just make extremely long midis! That way almost no one will ever hear the break unless they stay in the level it's playing for a really long time.
There are three obvious down-sides to this method.

First, midis won't sound the same on every PC. They'll sound really, really bad, generally.

Second, you have to create a stupidly long midi file in the first place.

Finally, midis won't sound the same on every PC. They'll sound really, really bad, generally.

Sorry but this is a horribly wasteful method of... whatever it is you're trying to do.

(I know that points #1 and #3 are the same, but they really will sound so crap I thought it was worth writing twice).

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#3]
Okay, well if anyone wants to post some programs they know about I'd really appreciate it.

BoneStan(Posted 2010) [#4]
Hi, AnvilStudio or Midi Quartet could be helpful.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#5]
I think Encore also does that (the freeware version, anyway - it's very hard to find it, though).

There's also Presto MIDI Arranger, from Willow Pond. It's very old and probably won't have as many features as you want - but it's freeware.

There's a link to it in the first list: http://kooper.mysteria.cz/download.php

(I don't know that website, so you probably ought to check that .exe with virustotal or virscan).

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#6]
Thanks for the help! Everyone probably already knows this, but vgmusic.com has tens of thousands of midis, and you can download hundreds at a time with downthemall.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#7]
Despite the fact that midi's sound like rubbish (unless you have proper instrument files and a good sound card when they can sound like an orchestra playing) - that doesn't mean that there are no copyright issues regarding downloading video game music...many of these, as far as I know, are still covered by copyright laws. Admittedly I don't know if the copyright holders care too much if you download their midis illegally.