MX Records?

Community Forums/General Help/MX Records?

Amon(Posted 2010) [#1]
I have a domain name hosted with Godaddy.com. To point it to my private server I change the A Record to one of the 10 ip's I have and it succesfully points the domain to my server.

Now the problem I am having is pointing the MX (Mail Exchange) records to my server i.e. I have no idea how.

For the Hostanme on the MX record I have it set to '@' which maps to the domain. What do I do then?

Can anybody help?

Amon(Posted 2010) [#2]
I sorted it.

If you have a domain with Godady or another provider and your own dedictaed server, remove the CNAME 'mail' that is currently on your domain via Total DNS or Full DNS control then create an A Record named mail.yourdomain.com pointing to the ip address of your server. Then create 2 MX Records for mail.yourdomain.com and smtp.yourdomain.com and wait about an hour for it to propagate then your good to go with creating mail accounts on your server.

Bob is your uncle! :)

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#3]
Actually, not all ISP's will provide a fallback server or might not even allow you to use port 25 at all. So depending on your ISP the way you need to setup your MX records varies hugely.

Wiebo(Posted 2010) [#4]
If you pointed the CNAME record to the A record of your mail server, it would've worked as well. A CNAME record is an alias. So you could host several services on one box, and have CNAME records pointing to that server, like MAIL, WWW, etc.
Now, if you want to add more services to your server you need to add more A records, which is considered 'messy'
I know, your method works, but it's not intended to work like that. =]