Non-exclusive Licensing

Community Forums/General Help/Non-exclusive Licensing

Retimer(Posted 2010) [#1]
Can someone please elaborate on what that means?

I've had some fair offers on source code and sponsorship, but a few times I have seen 'non-exclusive' - what exactly does something like this entail specifically? That I license only to them?

Time

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
In a nutshell:

Exclusive = you licence only to them.
Non-exclusive = you can licence to others, too. There may be prohibitive terms, though.

Retimer(Posted 2010) [#3]
Aha, thanks!

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
And as a (somewhat obvious) extension to that: non-exclusive licenses tend to be a lot cheaper than exclusive ones, since a non-exclusive license allows you to spread the development cost around over multiple buyers.

Pay close attention to the wording of the conditions of an exclusive sale:

It's possible to give a perpetual license which includes derivative works, or it could be a limited exclusive license that covers only a single product.

(e.g. if you sell exclusive rights to a match-3 engine, it could allow for a single product with no changes, or may also allow modifications, sequels and spin-offs.
You also have the option to transfer the ownership of the source altogether, or retain the copyright yourself: the difference is whether or not the exclusive licensee has the rights to resell it to others or can only use it for their own use.

Also, keep in mind: If you give someone an exclusive license to a piece of sourcecode, you may not be able to re-use part(s) of it yourself for other projects either.

If you wish to retain the rights to certain portions (e.g. a basic framework) you'll need to be very clear about what it is that is or isn't covered by the license)

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#5]
Also, another option is a time-limited exclusive license: Give the exclusive rights for say, 3 years, after which the rights revert back to you and you are allowed to sell it to others again as well.

Retimer(Posted 2010) [#6]
I see, that really clears up some confusion, thanks :)

I had the meanings of the two mixed up and lost out on a $5000 sponsorship because of it, oops :/