Phillips #00 20mm Screwdriver

Community Forums/General Help/Phillips #00 20mm Screwdriver

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#1]
Does anyone know where I can buy a Phillips #00 20mm screwdriver in the Uk? I've tried B&Q (long shot, I know) and Staples ("a what?"), and I'm fast running out of options. I have no Maplins or PCWorld near by, and I can't think of anywhere else.

Ideally, I like to get one today. I want to upgrade the RAM in my Mac Mini.

Can anyone think of where I might be able to get one?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
I got one of the sets of tiny screwdrivers (masquerading as a 'glasses repair kit') from Tesco for a quid.

Without knowing what shops are nearby (to you), its difficult to say where you might get one before the day's out.

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thanks GFK. I hadn't considered Tesco!

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#4]
Careful taking the lid off :-)

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#5]
I managed to get it off (putty knife), and it wasn't fun.

The (cheap) screwdriver I have started to thread the first screw (which does seem to be very tight), so I stopped immediately. I decided to get the correct one before proceeding, which is proving more difficult than I'd imagined.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#6]
There was also a very small spring for the antena in mine... I almost lost it as it bounced merrily onto the floor...

I was quite surprised to find a Maplins in Solihull... very useful for these kind of things.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#7]
The (cheap) screwdriver I have started to thread the first screw

What does "to thread" means?

ubergeek(Posted 2010) [#8]
What does "to thread" means?

Pretty sure he meant "to strip" the screw, ie scratch the grooves in the screw which makes them very difficult to remove.

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#9]
Yep. The screwdriver was starting to strip the screw.

I've just discovered we have a "ScrewFix" a few miles away. They didn't seem to know what a #00 20mm was, and there didn't seem to be anything like that in their catalogue.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#10]
I've just discovered we have a "ScrewFix" a few miles away. They didn't seem to know what a #00 20mm was, and there didn't seem to be anything like that in their catalogue.
Screwfix and B&Q are part of the same company, so its generally only worthwhile looking at one or the other.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#11]
Okay, thanks for the metalanguage :)

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#12]
I didn't know that ScrewFix and B&Q are part of the same network.

ScrewFix had a lot more to choose from tbh. They just didn't have what I needed.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#13]
Pretty sure he meant "to strip" the screw, ie scratch the grooves in the screw which makes them very difficult to remove.
Stripping the head as opposed to stripping the threads ;)

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#14]
FYI, I couldn't source one locally, so I ended up ordering this: http://www.lindy.co.uk/computer-technician-precision-screwdriver-set/43011.html