16 Bit Ms-Dos Games?

Community Forums/General Help/16 Bit Ms-Dos Games?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#1]
I was downloading Abandonia games and when I click the exe files of games then it say "This system does not support full screen mode. Choose close to teminate the application."

How can I get to play Old games on Window 7?

Yasha(Posted 2010) [#2]
...VMware Player?

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#3]
You need DOS :-)

Just format your harddrive, and put DOS 6.2 on it. You'll find DOS apps will appear quite snappy on today's hardware!

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#4]
DOSBox is probably the best choice for playing the pirated software which is found on Abandonia.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#5]
Thanks Guys :)

Digital Anime(Posted 2010) [#6]
DOSBox here as well, most old games run very well.

If you buy old titles like Doom 1 & 2 or Wolfenstein 3D on Steam they use DosBox as well. I only edited the config manually to change the resolution and driver for best performance and quality.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#7]
DosBox v0.63 with D-Fend V2
http://www.filefront.com/3966464/DOSBox-v0.63-with-D-Fend-v2/

Excellent :)

Vorderman(Posted 2010) [#8]
If you want to play Doom / Doom2 then get the Doomsday engine, it works perfectly in Windows (XP anyway) and gives you full mouselook and special lighting effects etc....

Personally I prefer to let it use the old 2D sprites as I think they have more character but you can also get it using full 3d models for all the baddies etc.. if you want.

http://dengine.net/

GfK(Posted 2010) [#9]
The best way to get games to work is not to use pirated ones (which they actually are - their age is irrelevant).

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#10]
even non-pirated games don't work.

Do as Hotshot mentioned or for games available on gog.com, just buy them there :)

Arabia(Posted 2010) [#11]
I managed to get Warcraft II working using DOSbox a few months back. It wasn't nearly as enjoyable as I remember it :(

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#12]
Actually for me it is the other way round, even though i OWNED the game i would still get the crack/hack etc, because finding the CD and/or manual to type in a letter from some page each time i want to play was a pain in the cajoles.

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#13]
finding the CD and/or manual to type in a letter from some page each time i want to play was a pain in the cajoles.

Bah. Type with your fingers like everyone else.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#14]
What and ruin my party trick :o