flickr as a backup service?

Community Forums/General Help/flickr as a backup service?

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#1]
I want to back up my 20GB of photos remotely. Someone at work suggested using flickr Pro (unlimited space), as it's only $25 a year.

Is anyone already doing this and, if so, how's it working out for you?

I've found an OS X app that will let me download all of my flickr photos in one go, so it all sounds plausible.

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#2]
I've been giving this a little more thought, and I might just go for a "proper" online backup service, like Mozy/SugarSync.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#3]
Dropbox?

[edit]Actually thats a bit expensive if you want more than the free 2GB...

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#4]
external hdd is the best way to store backups.

external hdd + mini-linux is the best way bring them into a network.

by the way.. i hate cloud backups...

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#5]
I already make two local backups - One daily (Time Capsule) and when when I think about it.

Local backups are all well and good, but what if (heaven forbid) the house burned to the ground!? I'd lose my originals AND my backups. Not ideal.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#6]
Local backups are all well and good, but what if (heaven forbid) the house burned to the ground!? I'd lose my originals AND my backups. Not ideal.
That's the advantage of offsite backups. Unfortunately I have so much stuff it would be stupid expensive if not impossible.

I'm toying with the idea of one of these, or something similar.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#7]
My Rackspace Cloud Files Sync tool does just what you need. I use it for the same purpose, although for a bit less data (10gb in total).

All you need to do is sign-up with Rackspace Cloud Files. Check the price calculator to figure out your monthly costs.

My tool can sync your local directory online and visa versa.
The tool isn't very advanced as it currently fits my needs. But I have some ideas to improve the tool. It's also open source. Currently it's Windows only, but I think it should compile just fine on Mac or Linux.

There's also a more advanced app for Rackspace Cloud Files or Amazon's storage service, called JungleDisk. But in addition to your storage and traffic costs you also pay for the use of the tool.

Otus(Posted 2010) [#8]
Google space is rather cheap. They have Picasa and this was just announced: Store files in Google Docs

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#9]

With a spaten i do digging it in the garden.

edit: GfK: nice box :)

(spaten = spade)

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#10]
external hdd is the best way to store backups

Best?

Unless your house burns down.

Or unless your house get broken into, and your computer equipment stolen.

Or unless your local electrical transformer gets zapped by lightning and your PC and everything connected to it get fried at the same time.

Or unless you have a virus that silently currupted/encrypted your files and also affected your backup drive.

Or unless you drop it.

Or unless it gets too hot and the drive cooked itself on your shelf since the last use.

Or unless your primary drive dies and the backup drive decides not to want to spin up anymore either.

Like it or not, it all happens... The problem with an external HDD is that it's still a single point of failure, with many things that can go wrong. At least using an internet-based solution means that it's (normally) stored in a proper data center somewhere, that's temperature controlled, has electrical power backup and spike-prevention, and normally runs on redundant RAID arrays.

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#11]
Thanks guys.

Oooh. The Google Docs solution looks very interesting (and cheap)... That might just be the answer. Cheers Otus!