The hell is this?!

Community Forums/General Help/The hell is this?!

GfK(Posted 2009) [#1]
Just replaced the PSU in an old Compaq desktop PC, and this was attached to a 4-pin square power connector on the old PSU.

There is some writing printed on the side; "OFT -F- (25ø)" (its cut off at the left before the "OFT" part).

No other markings, and no means of connecting the other end to anything else.

Any clues?

PS: The PSU is a LiteOn 250W, model #PS-5251-08HP

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#2]
Dummy Load?

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
Might be. What's it do?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dummy_load

Not being sarcastic posting that url, it just explains it better than I ever could.

Personally, I have never seen one on a computer PSU (at least not in the past three or four decades), but that doesn't mean a POS PSU may not require one for an unused connector to help regulate voltage for the motherboard.

If you cut off the heat-shrink wrapping, it looks like you will definitely find a capacitor. I would be curious to see what else is under there ;)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
I would be curious to see what else is under there ;)
Me too, but I've already had three accidents involving stanley knives or electricity this year and I'd sooner not make it four.

But yes, there's definitely a large-ish capacitor under there, on the right. The other long rectangular part has a wire poking out the other end, then folded back around itself.

I'll stick the old PSU into my test PC in a few days time and test it out, since my original PSU has been 'borrowed'. Not bothered if it blows up, as long as it doesn't hurt.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#6]
It's clearly a can of beer on a CD coaster.

(well, someone had to make the obvious gag)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
Yes. That's my precious Carlsberg. :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#8]
the lettering is just the spec for the heatshrink. the 25 means the diameter. I suspect it is a post manufacturing "re-design" hack job to accomodate the newer ATX 4 pin MB power connector. The long/roundy thing inside may be a ferrite and/or a cap to smooth the voltage for whatever reasons, or a fuse assembly.

You are right though, it IS odd. I have not seen this before and i have had apart more PCs (XT,AT,ATX) than i can possibly count. :/

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#9]
thing inside may be a ferrite

what would the RSPCA say to that? ;)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#10]
what would the RSPCA say to that? ;)
Somebody got a "GfK's Book of Lousy Puns" for Christmas.... ;)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#11]
nah i work with a bloke who can channel richard whitley's spirit and a milder bernard manning at the same time ;)

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#12]
LOL!

Ahem, i mean the iron kind, not the furry kind... did i spell it wrongly? :D

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#13]
nah you probably spelt it right, i just saw a visual pun and ran with it
mind you i cant spell, thats one of the reasons i was kicked out of the magic circle (it took the idiot a year to get that joke)

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#14]
mind you i cant spell, thats one of the reasons i was kicked out of the magic circle
-groans and facepalms-
:D

-"Grr"

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#15]
Not being sarcastic posting that url, it just explains it better than I ever could.

GaryV...I don't think you're capable of not coming off as sarcastic. ;)