Mac mini advice

Community Forums/General Help/Mac mini advice

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#1]
This is NOT meant to be instigative, but I have had very bad luck with Mac notebooks in the past (logic boards continually being replaced).

I am considering buying a Mac mini. I am curious from current owners as to the reliability of Mac minis? How long have you had it? What problems have you had, if any?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
My mini is the previous generation - not the one with the new NVidia graphics.
I've had it now for a couple of years, and it's on more or less 24hrs a day, and doesn't get rebooted very often.
I upgraded the RAM myself from 1gig to 4gig, of which it can see 3.3gig. (hardware limit I believe, with this version). The RAM upgrade is fiddly, to say the least, but it was easy enough using a guide from the internet.

I've had no problems with it at all up 'til now.

For all the work it does - a print/file server, wireless network router (a Linux box connects to the internet through it), and my main dev box - I've been completely satisfied with it.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#3]
I have a g4 iBook with the logic board problem. Apple made them very cheap and then denied there was a fault. I heard that someone replaced their logic board 4 times so it seems to be a design flaw with one or maybe more components on the logic board. Just to point out, there are no such problems with the g4 powerBook.

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#4]
My mini is the previous generation - not the one with the new NVidia graphics.
I've had it now for a couple of years, and it's on more or less 24hrs a day, and doesn't get rebooted very often.

Same here - no probs either. I'll definitely get another.

Murilo(Posted 2009) [#5]
I've had one of the new generation for about a month. So, it's early days for mine but so far, so good. My WIndows 7 PC is never on any more. I love the Mac Mini! I think I will upgrade my 2Gb to 4Gb though. I hope it's not too painful.

*(Posted 2009) [#6]
I got one last september and to say the least my Windows PC doesnt get used much any more (only for compiling builds)