Walt of power supply

Community Forums/General Help/Walt of power supply

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi all,

Without opening the case, is there any easy way to know the walt of the power supply?

Thanks in advance

Ked(Posted 2009) [#2]
Don't hold me to it, but I think you are going to have to open it. I don't have any recollection of CMOS being able to tell you, and if you don't have one of those sexy LED displays on the outside of your case that is hooked up to the power supply that tells you what wattage it is (and possibly other things such as temperature, fan speed, etc.), opening it is going to be the only way to go. :)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#3]
Without opening the case, is there any easy way to know the walt of the power supply?

I really don't believe there is a way to programmatically retrieve it... But if it's a name-brand machine (instead of a a whitebox) and you know the name/model of the computer itself, you can probably find the information on the internet if you search for it.

If you do pop the side of the case it should be fairly obvious though -- there's normally a large sticker facing outwards that lists all the relevant information.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
One other thing to consider when it comes to PSU wattage:

- As computers age, the effective PSU output typically degrade when things like the capacitors get less efficient
- Not all PSU's are created equal: even though two PSU's may both be marketed at the same wattage, some can maintain that load almost indefinitely, while others can only cope with it as a peak draw for short amounts of times
- A PSU has the potential of doing a lot of damage if it dies on you (powerspikes and such can burn out other PC components), so cheaping out on the PSU is a bad idea... But very common since many people don't think of them as important.

In short, a 550 Watt PSU made by a good manufacturer can be better / more desirable to have than a 650 Watt PSU by some chinese no-name outfit.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#5]
The walt? sounds a bit mickey mouse to me :D

Not that i know of, but by the time you had posted this you could have lopped the side off and looked at the label.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#6]
Thank you, Ked,xlsior and D4NM4N.