Laptop advice

Community Forums/General Help/Laptop advice

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm going to buy a new laptop. My last one was a VAIO FW, with a T9600 processor that worked great (I'm going to give it to my brother, long story) Anyway, I'm looking for something with a very nice looking design and good quality components.
The latest one costs me 1100€ and had a Intel Dual 2 Core T9600 (2.8 Ghz) processor, an ATI HD4650, 320 GBytes of HDD, etc. Any advice or is still Vaio the only really nice looking alternative? If there were a comparable apple laptop at this price, I would buy an apple, but the equivalent I've seen it cost a ridiculous 2400€...

This is my latest one

I would buy the same model but I don't know if I should better look to another brand or model... ?

markcw(Posted 2009) [#2]
No that one looks pretty good, I especially like the keyboard and strong hinges.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 which I got quite cheap on eBay. It's about 2 years old now. Modern laptops are all the same to me, the only thing I care about is how it looks now. Well, I do like to check there are no major flaws with it. :D

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
Don't get a Compaq. Had all sorts of hassle with mine.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#4]
I did had a Compaq years ago and it worked ok but, the materials were not very resitant and it was full of small scratches in a month or regular usage...

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
I did had a Compaq years ago and it worked ok but, the materials were not very resitant and it was full of small scratches in a month or regular usage...
Same with mine. They're made of cheap, porous plastic that discolours really easily. The screen died on mine after 11 months and I had that replaced under warranty. When it came back, after a few weeks it started making a noise, like some cable was touching the CPU fan as it was spinning. Took it apart and removed two pieces of standard household sellotape, which they'd stuck a cable to the bottom of the motherboard with - it had dried up, partly come off and was dangling into the CPU fan. Now the power connector is acting up (it has a blue LED in it which flickers on and off at random, but isn't supposed to), and I'm also getting occasional random shut-downs which I think are related to the faulty connector.

Wish I'd stuck with Toshiba - my last one lasted for six years and even then it only gave up on life because I dropped it.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#6]
I like IBMs, they are pug ugly but tough as old boots.

Pax(Posted 2009) [#7]
I used to love HP, now have very mixed feelings about it. Lappy works ok, but support (warranty) is getting very bad around my place, to the point I'm looking at other options for next machine.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#8]
IBM laptops look uggly! Maybe they're the best of the world but their design... Also, I've heard good things about HP but they look very standard.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#9]
I like IBMs, they are pug ugly but tough as old boots.

No idea what the current generation of Lenovo laptops is like, but my main gripe with the older ones was always that they use those horrendous tracksticks instead of a normal touchpad.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#10]
Finally got a new Vaio and I'm loving it!

markcw(Posted 2009) [#11]
Congratz. This is pretty funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwCSp5LHAIw

GfK(Posted 2009) [#12]
Regarding my comments about my dodgy Compaq (above) - just had another shut-down, and the power supply was stone dead. Checked the fuse - all ok.

Wiggled the wire where it plugs into the laptop. The LED in the connector flickered on and off with a crackling noise. Smoke and a small fire ensued. Its running on battery power now. The wire is completely shot where it fits into the connector. Its a moulded connector so I can't repair it - off to Maplin tomorrow for a new connector.

Looking forward to a bit of soldering and swearing. Must try not to stab myself in the hand with my stanley knife again.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#13]
Whao, i thought i was alone in the "Stabbing myself with a stanley knife" department. That 3 people today who have mentioned knifing themselves :)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#14]
I did mine cutting a tie wrap off some new garden hose. I started cutting down, but realised it'd cut the hose if the knife slipped, so I cut sideways. Knife slipped, into my hand pointy end first. Felt it hit the bone. Oddly, not a drop of blood. It bruised up good over the next two days though.

I'm getting a bit accident-prone in my old age.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#15]
I've got a thinkpad, it's great :)

Cheers
Charlie

GfK(Posted 2009) [#16]
Well, went down to Maplin yesterday to buy a new connector. Didn't notice that the new one was actually 5mm shorter than the original, until I'd actually soldered it on. :/

Obviously it still didn't work. Luckily the connector only cost a quid or so.

Anyhoo, just ordered a new Compaq/HP power supply. Only cost me a bit over £20 and I've decided I don't like soldering. It smells.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#17]
I've decided I don't like soldering. It smells.

Last time I did it, it smelt to burn meat. one of my fingers in concrete. soldering sucks!