Please Help Error Code 10 device manager USB drive

Community Forums/General Help/Please Help Error Code 10 device manager USB drive

Amon(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have a bufallo USB 500gb drive. I turn the PC on today and the buffalo drive is not being recognised and in device manager I get an error code 10 for it saying the device cannot start.

It's my backup drive but luckily I have backups of my backup drive. :)

Is it knackered or is Windows giving me the finger for it?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
Quickest thing to try: hook it up to a different PC, and see what it says.

If it works OK there, then it was either your PC hardware or windows giving you the finger.
If it fails there too, then the drive and/or drive enclosure is knackered.

Or something else to try: connect it to a different USB port. Especially if you have a USB_powered enclosure (2.5" drive?) there's a chance it may be a power-issue.

Amon(Posted 2009) [#3]
I tried it on another PC and it doesn't work either. Looks like it's knackered then. I'm still within warranty so I'll contact the shop for a replacement. Hope it goes well.

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#4]
I've had three out of "the box" external hard drives in the past and both have failed within their warranty. In the end it worked out cheaper and more reliable to buying an hard drive enclosure (Antec MX-1 UK) with a Western Digital Hard drive.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#5]
You have your Plug And Play services running, right?

Amon(Posted 2009) [#6]
Yeah Plug and Play services are running. I managed to fix it anyway by changing the adaptor. xlsior was right in a sense that it was a power issue.

I've scanned the drive and there are no errors and it seems to be running as normal. I've got a funny feeling though that it'll die 1 day after my warranty runs out.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#7]
Isnt that always the way? :)

Glad you got it running for now anyhow!