Vista forgetting folder settings

Community Forums/General Help/Vista forgetting folder settings

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#1]
My Vista installation keeps forgetting my folder preferences for some reason. Does anyone know a possible cause as to why this would happen?

Normally if you set a folder to view items in a certain way, for example as thumbnails or a detail view, next time it is opened it remembers your previous preference but for some reason it keeps changing. Window position\size is also lost. Any ideas? Maybe I have disabled something by accident? Is it possible to reset somehow?

Thanks for any help,
Jason.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
Its not just Vista - every version of Windows right back to Win95 has done this from time to time.

Go into My Computer>>Organise>>Folder and Search Options>>View.

Make sure "Remember each folder's view settings" is ticked. Or you could just hit 'reset'. Might work.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#3]
It does that.

Somewhere there is an option to "make all folders look like this" but it seldom stays that way.

I gave up in the end.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks for the tips but still no luck. How annoying. This just happened the other day and is now starting to irritate me. If anyone finds a fix then please do let me know. Why can`t these things just work as they should?

Jason.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#5]
Why can`t these things just work as they should?

Twenty years of co-depending piled-on cruft, written by umpteen thousand programmers...

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#6]
For anyone who may experience the same problem in the future I have found a fix that seems to work. Here`s the link.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70819-windows-explorer-folder-view-settings.html

Hope this help someone.

Jason.