What graphics tablet do you have?

Community Forums/General Help/What graphics tablet do you have?

markcw(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm thinking of getting a Wacom Intuos4 Small/A6 Graphics Tablet. Is this a good choice?

I was considering the A5 Bamboo but I have been persuaded that the A6 has enough drawing room and that the Bamboo isn't sensitive enough.

What tablet do you have?

Thanks for advice.

Pongo(Posted 2009) [#2]
Anything Wacom is good. I've had just about everything they have made at one point or another.

My favorite size is the 6x8 medium size tablets. The small ones feel way too cramped, and the larger ones require too much arm movement and take up too much desk space. This is obviously a personal preference thing though.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#3]
Ok, I took your advice about the A5 size and did some further research, wikipedia helped a lot here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacom

So I've just bought a "Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch Medium" for £160. :D

This review sold it to me.
http://reviews.cnet.com/pointing-devices/wacom-bamboo-fun-pen/4505-3147_7-33773062.html

amonite(Posted 2009) [#4]
I have a Wacom Bamboo.
It's very good.

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#5]
Instead of getting a tiny new bamboo get a older Intuos. Intuos 2 is still supported in the latest drivers and has full tilt and pressure.

I used to have a 6x8 ArtPad II serial that no longer worked in vista or Win7, bought a 6x8 intuos 2 for $80.

The latest tablets are a little better, mostly if you want twist as well as tilt. The Barrel rotation required a seperate 6D art pen. And you have a choice of custom tips which can be nice too, but not at $300+ for the smaller tablets.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#6]
Well they no longer sell the Intuos 2 or 3 on Amazon (uk) so I'd have to get one off eBay instead which I tend to avoid because of all the pitfalls.

It's interesting how you guys shun the A6 size.

I'm thinking of getting a Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch Small (A6) for my niece as she draws manga cartoons, mainly to save money but now I'm wondering if I'd only be cramping her style.

outsider(Posted 2009) [#7]
I have a Wacom Bamboo. Good price and quality. It's 512 degree of sensitive, it's enough for me :).

Big&(Posted 2009) [#8]
I have a Wacom Graphire3. Its an A6 size and I have used this for years now. I am a professional artist and it is perfect for me. I know a lot of other artists that use larger tablets but this all seems to be a personal choice and of cause, how comfortable you are drawing at each size.

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#9]
I've used an A5 tablet and they're just too small, I currently use an A4 Intuos4 at work and the large size is exactly right.

Also, certainly buy a Wacom of some sort, they're very well made and superb to use. You'll just get annoyed and held back by a cheaper tablet. I don't mind a cheap keyboard and mouse, but when it comes to graphics tablets the cheaper ones seem to be just plain nasty to use.