Brightness/Contrast problem

Community Forums/General Help/Brightness/Contrast problem

mv333(Posted 2009) [#1]
1) Ok, my graphics card is a Radeon IGP 345M. In the Color properties for the card, i have "Desktop" and "Full Screen 3d" adjusted the same. I have brightness on maximum, and contrast on minimum. The default is half/half.

When i run my code in Blitz3d, it works ok. But, when i use Setgamma, my cards brightness/contrast returns to default settings. It stays like that until i go back in Color properties, and click on "Ok", even though the sliders in there didn't change back to default.

Why does Setgamma make it switch to default?

2) I created a logo using my brightness/contrast settings. But when it switched to default, i noticed some smears around the logo, which i couldn't see before. Guess i'll have to check my graphics on both settings.

What brightness/contrast do most users have on their system? My default is half/half, and the same on my other computer.

Thanks.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
What brightness/contrast do most users have on their system? My default is half/half, and the same on my other computer.

It really depends on the equipment and monitor settings too:

My LCD itself is set to full brightness, half contrast. (There's an annoying whistle tone from the backlight if brightness is below 90%)

In the ATI control panel I have both brightness and contrast set to their 50% mark, but do adjust the gamma settings: instead of he default 1.0, I'm using 0.55 to get significantly darker colors than typical.
The default settings give me eyestrain since the whites are too bright to my eyes.

At least ATI lets you set up multiple color profiles, so if I'm watching a video or something that's to dark I can hit hit some keyboard shortcuts to cycle between my default settings, and two brighter variations.

mv333(Posted 2009) [#3]
i noticed some smears around the logo, which i couldn't see before.

I found out what caused this. When i open a screen with the color depth set to zero, the smears will appear. Same with 16 bit. 24 bit won't work on my system. But on 32 bit, the smears are gone, and the pic is perfect.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
What bitdepth are you running your desktop at? Is that 16-bit as well, by any chance?

mv333(Posted 2009) [#5]
Desktop is at 32. I tried switching to 16, but nothing changes.