What graphics editor do you have?

Community Forums/General Help/What graphics editor do you have?

markcw(Posted 2009) [#1]
I just bought Adobe Photoshop Elements (6 for Mac and 7 for PC) at £50 a pop.

What program do you use and which version do you prefer?

Should I get Paint Shop Pro or is that pointless once you have Photoshop Elements?

Thanks for any advice.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#2]
Gimp and photoshop cs3

prefer gimp for 'painting' though. Photoshop is better for some things but gimp loads faster and is more... convenient for -most- stuff.

I used to use paintshop pro as a halfway point until gimp surpassed it, although i do miss the PSP vector stuff in both packages.

ubergeek(Posted 2009) [#3]
Gimp, Photoshop Elements 6.0, and *wait for it* Elements 2.0.

I actually prefer 2.0 to 6.0 since it loads much, much, MUCH faster, but there are a lot of improvements in 6.0 so I have to use it for some things.

I completely agree with D4NM4N - Gimp is my favorite of the three, it loads even faster and is generally less clunky for most uses.

Was looking at CS3 a while ago, but as often as I need the features that are only in CS3, I couldn't justify the cost.

Also, InkScape is pretty nice for vector graphics. And I like the price tag, or lack thereof. ;)

markcw(Posted 2009) [#4]
Adobe Photoshop CS3 is £285 and CS4 is a whopping £590. Do you mind if I ask, did you pay that kind of money Dan? Or did you get the student version (CS4 student is £160)?

I skimmed a few reviews which led me to believe that Elements 7 was the best version overall that it had slightly more features than 6 and less of the bloat in 8.

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#5]
It's been a while since I used GIMP. Found it was a poor replacement for photoshop which I use for editing. I prefer corel painter for more traditional drawing.

Has Gimp got adjustment layers and FX yet? Last time I used it it only had basic layers, layer modes and masking. Plus the seperate filters much like photoshop which aren't the same thing.

Having said that, you can't beat the price of Gimp :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#6]
I use paint and the internet... maybe I should upgrade? haha

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#7]
GIMP and Windows Paint (for quick stiff).

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
Photoshop, paint.net and JASC Paintshop Pro 7.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#9]
Gimp.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#10]
My favourite is Fireworks.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#11]
Do you mind if I ask, did you pay that kind of money Dan?
My company bought me a license. I wouldnt have bothered otherwise because the stuff it can do that gimp can't, i rarely use anyway.
I think the only PS 'extra' i have -really- made use of is the action macro recorder for doing repetitive stuff.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#12]
I prefer Corel's products. The only downside is nonoptimal PNG support, which forces me to use Photoshop every now and then. Occasionally I try to get myself to like Gimp. I also use the likes of Freehand every now and then for vector based graphics, though I prefer Corel Draw.

All licenses of course compliments of the company I work for.

If I had to buy a product, I would not hesitate to choose the Corel package.

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#13]
I bought JASC Paint Shop Pro 9 a few years ago, and have stuck with
it ever since :)

I see no reason to upgrade, because its abilities suit me just fine.

(Although I suppose I really should try learning to use Gimp)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#14]
GIMP and Windows Paint (for quick stiff).
If that's the effect MS Paint has on you, wait til you see the Win7 version.

I bought JASC Paint Shop Pro 9 a few years ago
...which is actually Corel Paintshop Pro 9? The UI in Paintshop is rotten since Corel got it.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#15]
I like MS Paint, Windows 98 version.

That's hilarious.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#16]
GIMP here (;-) Although I never get quick stiff done with it!

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#17]
lemme guess.... its the... same :D

edit: wait, whats this i see when i google "ms paint screenshots".. ms have broken the 5 version span "shovel" and produced something which looks like paint... but with what looks like the office 2k7 interface!!... ooOo.

Is it actually any -good- for painting or even basic image editing yet though?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#18]
I also have Paintshop Pro XI (now Corel) on my work PC, but I actually prefer the interface and such of version 7, when JASC still owned it.

ragtag(Posted 2009) [#19]
GIMP - For drawing comics and most other graphics related stuff.
Manga Studio EX - For drawing high resolution b&w comics, it's the best program I've found for this (beats Photoshop, GIMP and everything else...including ComicWorks which I also have).
InkScape - Nice vector program. I use it mostly for logo designs and graphs.
openCanvas - Boots insanely fast, has rotating canvas (like CS4 finally got), and has a nice blending paint brush. It even runs fine in Wine, so I can use it on Linux too. :)
ArtRage - Fun program for painterly look. Both a free and $29 version. The main difference is that the pay version supports layers. This one runs smooth in Wine too.
imageMagik - Command line tool for working with images. Can do format conversions, scaling, cropping and lots of different effects. Very handy for automating stuff.

I've dabbled with Krita (open-source, supports 16bit channels and floating point images), MyPaint (simple paint app, open-source), Xara (fast vector program), Creature House Expression 3 (very interesting program that lets you attach different painterly strokes to vectors...now owned by MS and called Acrylics), CinePaint (old branch of GIMP focused on movie work...unfortuntely kind of dead) and more.

I also own these two I play with from time to time:
FrameToon - A japanese 2D bitmap animation program by the same people that made openCanvas, but unlike openCanvas this program is only available in Japanese, and buying it was easier said than done. :)
ToonBoom Express 2.5 - A 2D vector animation program. Don't use this much anymore.

This list is getting too long, so I'll leave the 3D stuff out. :D

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#20]
Is it actually and -good- for painting or even basic image editing yet though?

It's marginally better, but it's more the interface that's been upgraded. The functionality is still absolutely bottom of the barrel. (I bet they don't want another anti-trust lawsuit from the image editor manufacturers)

calc.exe under Win7 on the other hand is a massive upgrade from the older versions, it's actually a very good program now. (It now has a programmer mode, which can be really, really useful... Plus it has a ton of built-in unit conversions, etc.)

markcw(Posted 2009) [#21]
I bought GraphicsGale the other day which is also a Japanese animation tool but has an English version. Has anyone tried it?

Funny website though. When I went to buy it the price was quoted as something like 1,995 yen which makes it look very expensive when it's only £13. Then they've got a dodgy cgi purchase page which makes you wonder if it's secure, you have to get past that to discover they sell it through some Japanese digital publisher. Makes me wonder how good their sales are.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#22]
If paint had a decent zoom and alpha channel support(& png export) it wouldn't be too bad as a quick and simple pixel-editing sprite tool.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#23]
MS can't improve paint. If they do, everybody under the sun will sue them again...

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#24]
And rightly so i guess :)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#25]
If paint had a decent zoom and alpha channel support(& png export) it wouldn't be too bad as a quick and simple pixel-editing sprite tool.

Enter... Paint.net: http://www.paint.net/

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#26]
I've used Paint.NET but perfer GIMP (in every way).
Paint.NET just "feels strange."
Maybe its the interface.