Got an old laptop ....

Community Forums/General Help/Got an old laptop ....

JBR(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi, got a Toshiba Satellite Pro SP6000 laptop. It comes with 128Mb of RAM, so I need to upgrade. I know it is a 144pin SDRAM of 133Mhz but I don't know if it is CL2 or CL3. The code on the 128Mb is PC133S-333-542-B1.

Also, I don't know if the USB ports are of type 1 or 2. Is there a way to tell? I was thinking of getting a PCMCIA USB 2 card if they are type 1.

Any help appreciated.
Jim

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
If you happen to have Windows working on the machine, then run CPU-Z. It will give you every info imaginable about the memory modules present.

Also, to tell apart USB 1 from USB 2 withing windows:
In the device manager, USB root device, see if it makes any mention of "advanced USB controller". If so, it's USB2. If not, it's 1.0 or 1.1.

JBR(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks xlsior
Jim

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#4]
In my past experience, I have found that really old notebooks are not worth the hassle and cost to make them useful. Especially nowadays, when you consider a $150 or $200 netbook is probably 10 times more powerful than the "free" notebook you got that will probably cost you $200 in little parts to make useful.

You will end up buying memory and addon cards to give it the basic capabilities. And then you will end up with a notebook with an old style screen, a 500MHz processor and only 512MB of memory...

JBR(Posted 2009) [#5]
I agree TaskMaster but I won't really be using it as a computer. It will be used with my DSLR to remotely control the camera which only needs USB 2.0 to transfer the data to the computer and enough ram for the program to work.

Jim

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#6]
Ahhhh, in that case, you seem to be on the right track. Nothing wrong with using it as a dedicated controller of sorts. I do that with old hardware all the time. ;)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
I sold my Toshiba Satellite two years ago for £23 on eBay. Needed a new motherboard. Cost me £1300 in 2001.

I had fun taking it to pieces trying to find out what was wrong with it.

Panno(Posted 2009) [#8]
Some time ago I wanted to sell my laptop on ebay .
i found another vm8000 laptop on ebay ,for 3,20 euro .

Since I use it in the bathtub ...................... :)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#9]
Since I use it in the bathtub

Not plugged in to AC, I hope?