Picking A New Mouse...

Community Forums/General Help/Picking A New Mouse...

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#1]
I am looking for a new USB mouse, and I recently bought a GigaWare.
It has 2 extra buttons, and I was wondering if I could use them in a Blitz3D program (for me, or maybe just for people who have extra buttons).
Also, I was wondering if it was any good (if not, is there one you would recomend).

2.4GHz Wireless
1600 dpi optical sensor

Lastly, is there any compatibility issues anyone has been having with Blitz programs and USB mice?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
Lastly, is there any compatibility issues anyone has been having with Blitz programs and USB mice?

Given that 98% of all mice sold over the past couple of years have been USB, I think it's safe to say "no problems" to that...

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
I used to have a wireless mouse. They're nothing more than an inconvenient fad.

The thing ATE batteries. Why didn't I get a rechargable one? Because that'd mean my PC would have to be on in order to charge it up - at least for the ones I looked at that draw power via USB, and my PC is always off when I'm not using it. When I'm using my PC, I'm using the mouse.

In short, I'd get any mouse with a wire on it. Take your wireless mouse and stomp it flat.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#4]
I never did see the point of wireless keyboards and mice. Particularly as I use a trackball, which I don't have to move around the desktop, anyway.

CGV(Posted 2009) [#5]
I don't see the point to a wireless keyboard either but I'm never going back to a wired mouse.

I don't know how long ago GfK bought his wireless mouse but the newer ones don't eat batteries.

I have a Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 and I'm approaching 5 months on a single AA battery.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#6]
I don't know how long ago GfK bought his wireless mouse but the newer ones don't eat batteries.
Not sure... probably 3-4 years I would think.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#7]
Well I recently bought a wireless usb optical mini mouse by Gembird which is very similar to this one and it worked perfectly on XP and Ubuntu but not on Mac so I've been considering this one for Mac but it's a bit expensive.

I also have a normal usb optical mouse by Gembird and a PC wireless usb optical mouse by Belkin, which both work just as well but I really like the wireless feature as I am not a big fan of spaghetti wiring and plus I always had trouble with my PC mouse not having a long enough wire.

Another thing I like are the two AAA batteries for the wireless mini mouse which make it much lighter than the normal wireless usb mouse which takes two AA batteries.

I don't know how long it takes to wear out the batteries yet though but I think having the ability to switch it off is an essential feature rather than having to pull out the batteries.

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2009) [#8]
Microsoft all the way,relible,ruged last u a lifetime.

Be Well.

ubergeek(Posted 2009) [#9]
Yup, I always get wired peripherals, for the same reasons as Gfk.

I'm using a Logitech G5 right now. Best mouse I've ever used; very smooth and accurate, plus lots of buttons to play with.

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#10]
I have a wireless laser mouse, comes with a docking station and uses 1x AA battery. Works great and has a warning light that comes on some time before the battery runs flat. Stick it on the docking pad thing just a few minutes and its good for the rest of the day (if you let the batteries almost run out).

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#11]
I have a use for a wireless keyboard...

I sit in the back row of my home theater and use it to control my Home Theater PC that is at the front of the room. Having it attached by a cord would suck. :)

The keyboard I use also has a trackball type mouse, mouse buttons, and scroll wheel all built into it. Perfect for my application.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#12]
(modern) optical bluetooth mice are quite good.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#13]
Yes, now I just need a home theater to go with it.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#14]
Unless for some reason you need to sit very far away from your computer case (such as Taskmaster), then I don't see the need for wireless keyboards or mice either. I think it's just a fad, like wireless printers.

Anywho, a mouse is a mouse is a mouse and unless you have a specific requrement, then I doubt there'd be much in it.

I personally find that Belkin are the most comfortable and durable mice for my needs, and would certainly recommend the manufacturer.

As for compatibility and USB, worse come to worse, most USB mice come with an adaptor to PS2.

Beaker(Posted 2009) [#15]
I like my wireless printer! It means I can print from any computer and don't have to have the printer in the same room as the network hub (or a computer).

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#16]
The batteries in my wireless mouse last 3-4 months, as do the batteries in my wireless keyboard.