ETNA - mistery bug - Please help

Community Forums/General Help/ETNA - mistery bug - Please help

semar(Posted 2009) [#1]
All,
I'm using ETNA and Blitz3D for a chat program.

When I use a threaded ETNA_SEND against a local mysql and php installation (xampp), everything works ok.

The same code, against a remote database, does not work. Every message I write in the chat will be inserted 3 times in the table ! And no, is not the code, since it works with a local database.

If I run the same code on another system - Vista or XP - it works as expected - threaded and non threaded, even with the remote database.

So the problem seems confined to my pc (win XP).

Has anybody of you experienced a similar problem ? What can be ?

On my pc I have a fresh installation of XP, with all the needed drivers.
For internet connection I have DSL and a modem-router.

Can be that the modem-router the culprit is ? But why ?

My brain hurts...

Sergio.

SpaceAce(Posted 2009) [#2]
The first thing you should do is watch the network traffic being generated by your program. If the line is being sent multiple times, you will be able to see it.

Post the code if you can. I've used ETNA in the past and it worked well for me.

SpaceAce

semar(Posted 2009) [#3]
These puzzle is driving me mad !

Last news - read carefully :

- On my pc, the Loki demo works with a remote database - for example, the one from the ETNA example, "repeatuntil".

- On my pc, the same Loki demo does not work with my remote database

- on different pc (same O.S.) the same Loki demo works with my remote database

How should I declare these variables in my ETNA_Chat.php script ?

I have these ($user,$password and $base are placeholders):

$host = "localhost";
$user = "myDbUser";
$password = "myDbPassword";
$base = "myDbName";

Please help. I'm quite frustrated !

Sergio.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
Of course 'localhost' is not a remote database, but local on your own PC -- I assume that you've repointed that to the proper remote host as well?

Also, you don't happen to have a firewall or something that could be blocking the outgoing internet traffic?

semar(Posted 2009) [#5]
'localhost' is exactly what is written in the REMOTE php script as the $host variable.

I've googled and found many examples where were suggested the same.

I guess this is the case where the database is located on the same server where the php web server is installed, which is, in fact, my case.

For internet connection I have a modem-router, which has indeed an internal firewall. I don't have any other firewall running.

Since the same code works perfectly with the "repeatuntil" remote database, this ensure me that the firewall on the modem-router does not represent any problem.

To summarize:
From my pc, the demo code works on remote databases, but my.
So it seems a database setting in some way.

The strange thing is, the same code works also with my remote database, if ran on different pcs.

Weird...