Convert a WPA Passphrase to WEP key?

Community Forums/General Help/Convert a WPA Passphrase to WEP key?

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#1]
I`m trying to hook a Nintendo DSi up to a router which uses WPA-PSK[TKIP] security but the Nintendo DSi asks for a WEP key and all that I have is a pass phrase which doesn`t work. I can get things working by lowering the security settings to WEP but I do not want to do this.

My question is can a pass phrase be converted to a WEP key and will this then work?

Many thanks for any help.

Jason.

Difference(Posted 2009) [#2]
System Settings -> Internet -> Connection Settings - > Advanced Setup ->

Connection 4 , 5, and 6 has WPA and WPA2

BTW: Use AES if you want anything remotely secure

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hi Peter, I know that you can get WPA and WPA2 on DSi but it`s the WEP key I need. I only have a pass phrase so I need to convert it to a WEP key if possible.

Is AES the best option to use then for security? If so then why is it not the default setting? I assume it is as it`s called WPA2.

I found this on the official Nintendo site in a FAQ :

"I use a pass phrase for my key. Can I use this?"

Some routers allow you to enter a pass phrase. This is then converted to a key number. When you are entering a key into the Nintendo DS, the actual key is required. The pass phrase will not work.

Sadly, it doesn`t tell you if you can convert the pass phrase into a key.

Jason.

Difference(Posted 2009) [#4]
You need to use connection 4,5 or 6 in advanced setup. They are the only ones that can do WPA-PSK[TKIP]

If you are talking about AOSS or WPS , there are buttons under "Advanced Setup" for that too.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#5]
QuickSilva: If your router is set to use WPA, then there's no way that your DS is going to connect with a WEP key, simply because your router won't be talking WEP.

both sides will need to use WPA.

Now, if you really do need to generate a key based on the passphrase: There are a ton of websites that can do this conversion for you -- three seconds on Google gave me this:
http://www.powerdog.com/wepkey.cgi

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#6]
Thanks xlsior. Is converting the pass phrase just a case of turning it into a HEX value (as the link implies) or is there more to it than that?

Jason.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#7]
I guess that's pretty much it...