Video editing - Good software

Community Forums/General Help/Video editing - Good software

EOF(Posted 2009) [#1]
I am looking for a video editor which fits this bill:

1) Ideally small enough to run on a netbook
2) Can handle multiple file formats (DivX, Wmv)
2) Allow pixel-paint editing (on a frame-by frame basis)
3) Have audio dubbing/editing
4) Feature basic text annotation / subtitling

Any recommendations?

degac(Posted 2009) [#2]
http://www.openshotvideo.com/

never tried, but it seems promising (Linux only)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
Sony Vegas Moviestudio is the daddy. You really can't go wrong for under £45.

EOF(Posted 2009) [#4]
Vegas does not recognize the videos (DivX format) from my camera phone which play perfectly in GOM Player and VLC Player

"Stream attributes could not be determined" for both video and audio

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#5]
Do you have the actual Divx codec installed on your computer?

Try opening a divx video in windows media player -- it it fails there too, then you're missing the codec.

EOF(Posted 2009) [#6]
*EDIT

Installed DivX codecs (K-Lite pack did not work)
Vegas could not handle the audio for some reason but using Virtual Dub to convert the file fixed that. However, Vegas loads/plays the media but now randomly closes during editing/playback

Suffice to say, I am done with the Vegas demo. Thanks anyhow

Anything else?

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#7]
Go to http://www.videohelp.com

It's like, the top place to search for video editing tools and utilities (also, the forum is suited for this kind of question).

EOF(Posted 2010) [#8]
*BUMP

I still cannot find any good software that allows individual frame editing (just like Deluxe Paint could do)

For example, I would like to place an manually place an image at specific locations within and AVI video file

Any ideas?

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2010) [#9]
Have you tried Adobe Premiere? I can't remember if you can edit pixels of individual frames.

I fear you won't find all the features you want from any single application, and instead have to use different apps for different processes.

Personally I have used Corel Photo-Paint to pixel edit individual frames of videos. It allows you to load video files and it shows each frame as an individual picture.

EOF(Posted 2010) [#10]
Personally I have used Corel Photo-Paint to pixel edit individual frames of videos. It allows you to load video files and it shows each frame as an individual picture
Thanks. That sounds good enough. Does Corel Photo Paint then re-save as an *.avi ?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#11]
Adobe premiere is pretty expensive, although they also have a stripped version called Adobe Premiere Elements that's a lot cheaper.

Not sure what the exact differences are between both versions, though.

chi(Posted 2010) [#12]
tried virtualdub? http://www.virtualdub.org/

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#13]
Since he wants to do frame painting as well, I'm sure that virtualdub is much too basic for what he's looking for.

(It also doesn't support WMV)

Rob the Great(Posted 2010) [#14]
I work for a TV station, and we use Final Cut, but that's a little bit expensive and is Mac compatible only.

I use Adobe Premiere on my laptop, and that will do the same things that Final Cut will, to a point. But again, it can be expensive.

Windows Movie Maker is a very simple, but non-powerful editing program.

I've also used U-Lead Studio in the past, which is cheap and performs most of the functions you wanted above. It also supports importing many images at a time and loading them one frame after another to be put into movie format, so if you wanted, you could edit the frames in Paint or Photoshop and then import them into this program.

I've never used it, but I've heard of a program called AVID, which should do all of your video-editing needs.

As far as simplicity goes, I would recomend either Final Cut or Premiere, as they both support very advanced functions, such as keyframing whatever it is that you are painting to the screen. This saves so much time in the editing world. They also come with a huge pack of fx for video and audio, and include a full audio mixing mode where you can tweak the audio like you would with other sound design programs. Be ready to spend some money on these systems, though, and their size can be fairly large.

If you want more of a cheap way to go about it, give U-Lead a try. It does the basics of editing, and you can find ways to manipulate the programs to do what you need them to do.

EOF(Posted 2010) [#15]
Thanks Rob. Good information
Corels Video Studio Pro X3 looks pretty solid

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#16]
Vegas loads/plays the media but now randomly closes during editing/playback

That sounds like a codec issue to me.