Graphics tablets

Community Forums/General Help/Graphics tablets

plash(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm looking for a good tablet to use as a replacement for my laptop tablet (Lenovo X41), as it gets far too hot, and is rather lacking in hardware.

Wacom tablets are, or so I hear, probably the best ones out there, and this one looks like a decent buy:
http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Small-Pen-Tablet-Only/dp/B000V9T2JA

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

EDIT: My only issue with the one above is the size. I'd like to get a larger one, but then the prices rise..

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#2]
I had a small one about three years ago, similar but i hated it because it didn't feel natural too me so I gave it away and bought me this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000BBAL0W/sr=1-42/qid=1253680310/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics&qid=1253680310&sr=1-42
I loved it but they are two fragile. After about 9 months my son dropped it from the top of my computer desk and it stopped working. Now it's just a nice door stopper. After having this one, I wold never go back to buying a small one again and I wouldn't buy this bigger one again because I am scared of dropping it and loosing another 200+ dollars.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#3]
I have the above tablet (Bamboo) and can thoroughly recommend it. I have used lots of Wacom tablets, including the more expensive ones and this one compares very well for the price. Well worth the money.

Jason.

plash(Posted 2009) [#4]
I have the above tablet (Bamboo) and can thoroughly recommend it. I have used lots of Wacom tablets, including the more expensive ones and this one compares very well for the price. Well worth the money.
Are you referring to the small one I linked to?

I loved it but they are two fragile.
Yeah, that's what I said when I looked at the Graphire series.

CGV(Posted 2009) [#5]
I bought that very tablet, brand new, a year ago for $54.99 from Amazon.

I don't know why they're now listing it for $299 but I advise you not to pay that price for it.

Even Wacom's site lists it for $79.

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#6]
I've used a non-Wacom tablet and by comparison it was just terrible. I'm currently using a Wacom Intuos (Intuos 5 I think) on a daily basis and it's absolutely superb, well worth paying that bit more for the brand. Even the pen is brilliant with various hardness interchangeable nibs and extra thick rubber grips to make the pen fat or thin. Also the thing appears to built like a tank.

It's like buyng a cheap mouse - you may save a few quid in the short term but it will be horrible to use and you'll soon regret it, or else it will break.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#7]
Plash: Yep, the small one. As said above though the price is wrong, I got mine for around £50.

Jason.

plash(Posted 2009) [#8]
I don't know why they're now listing it for $299 but I advise you not to pay that price for it.
I noticed. I probably won't even get it from Amazon, but the site was an easy link, and it gives all the specs on the device.

Plash: Yep, the small one. As said above though the price is wrong, I got mine for around £50.
Alrighty.

I'm currently using a Wacom Intuos (Intuos 5 I think) on a daily basis and it's absolutely superb, well worth paying that bit more for the brand. Even the pen is brilliant with various hardness interchangeable nibs and extra thick rubber grips to make the pen fat or thin. Also the thing appears to built like a tank.
I see that the Intuos4 small is $200, which would also be the price of the larger Bamboo model..

I think I'll get the small Intuos4. The base commercial price isn't bad ($200) and it seems to have more features.
I'm going to see if my sister can get it on student discount.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#9]

It is from a third-party seller. It is a discontinued item, and when something gets discontinued, the price skyrockets from third-party sellers. When Amazon carried them, they were $55-$75 depending on whether pen only or pen and mouse.

I would wait until the new models come out. They will likely have some improvements.

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#10]
Personally I'd get a used one from ebay or craigslist if they have that there. So long as you get a Intuos 2 or higher you won't be disappointed and it will work in windows vista/7 too.

The larger wacoms are very high quality and virtually indestructable. I used my old 6x8 for 15 years untill I upgraded to windows 7 and ditched XP. Got an intuos 2 replacememt for $80 on craigslist and couldn't be happier.

The later tablets are very similar only they have a few extra buttons for convenience, and the 3 or higher has a spring tip and optional twist feature in the more expensive pens.

Cartman(Posted 2009) [#11]
I just bought a Cintiq (the small one) off of someone on Craigslist. Got an amazing deal on it. I'm not much of an artist, but it's helping me immensely. I love it. Most people I've talked to who are good artists recommend at least the medium size tablets with buttons on the side. The don't seem to like the big ones and the small ones are unusable.

Good luck.

plash(Posted 2009) [#12]
I'll be sure to look on Ebay and craigslist. I don't like buying used products, but if the price is right..

EDIT: Hmm.. I'm not sure that I like the Intuos3 very much. The elevated active area looks like it would give you some nice rashes if you lay your hand across it to draw.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#13]
As others have said, get a Wacom. Just get the one that best fits your requirements/budget. Personally, I wouldnt have a problem buying a used Wacom. In fact, I have done. :)

plash(Posted 2009) [#14]
Ehh.. I just measured the size of the Intuos4 small - 6.2" by 3.9" is realllly small.
I probably wont be able to afford any size larger, but I don't think I can live with the small.

plash(Posted 2009) [#15]
I found an Intuos2 9x12 tablet for $130 on craigslist!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#16]
My Mrs wants one of these for christmas...