SD Card Help

Community Forums/General Help/SD Card Help

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#1]
I recently bought a 8GB Scandisk SD card for my Wii.
I used it on my Wii, but now I want to use it on my cumputer, but it can't open it (asks if I want to format it), so I click yes, and it says Disk can not be formatted.

I dont need the files off of it, but I do need it to use FAT or FAT32 (hopefully FAT)

big10p(Posted 2009) [#2]
NTFS, surely? What version of windows are you using?!

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
I recently bought a 8GB Scandisk SD card for my Wii.
That's "Sandisk". :)

Its not write-protected, is it? Quite sure mine's FAT32, too, although mine's a flash drive not an SD card.

Oh, if you're using a USB card reader, try another USB port.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#4]
I tried both USB and built in.
Im on Windows XP.
It needs to be FAT to still work with the Wii.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#5]
I dont need the files off of it, but I do need it to use FAT or FAT32 (hopefully FAT)

FAT is limited to 2GB, you'll need FAT32 in order to use a volume larger than that.

First thing to check is what Gfk suggested: Make sure it's not write protected. Most SD cards have a tiny little slider on the side, which can be set to write-protect the disk. In that setting, no changes can be made, which includes formatting the card.

Anyway, a format may also fail if there's a problem with the partition(s) on the disk. If you know absolutely certain that you won't need any of the data currently on the disk, then try this:
- Right click on (my) comuter
- Select 'manage'
- Go to Storage -> Disk Management.
- Find your SD card in the list of devices, right-click the existing partition on your SD card, and select 'delete volume' (or 'delete partition')
- Then right-click and create a new partition.
- Then right-click this partition, and choose 'format', you should be able to select the filesystem you wish to use now.

If the above all fails: can you format it directly on the wii?

JKP(Posted 2009) [#6]
Are you sure that the card readers you're using are SDHC compatible? If they're more than a few years old then they might only be compatible with cards that are 2GB or less.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#7]
Good point. What JKP said.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#8]
My card readers must not be SDHC compatible.
It doesn't show up in the management thing above, and neither the USB connector or the built in one will recognize it.

What do you recommend for a USB SDHC Card Connector?