creating animated gifs?

Community Forums/General Help/creating animated gifs?

Gladclef - Ben B(Posted 2009) [#1]
Was wondering if anyone could point the way to creating/saving animated .gif files?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
Programatically from within Blitz, or using 3rd party software?

There's a bunch of programs that can export them, such as JASC Animation Shop, GIF construction set, and others.

In Blitzmax you can read animated GIFs through some 3rd party modules (bah.freeimage, perhaps?), but I don't know if any will create them as well.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#3]
If you mean in an image editor then the two apps most ppl would use are Photoshop or PaintShop Pro, followed by Graphics Gale, Gimp, Fireworks etc.

You can also try something like the online editor GIFWorks or the free utility UnFREEz if you're still stuck.

Gladclef - Ben B(Posted 2009) [#4]
UnFREEz looks really good, but I guess I should have specified.
I would indeed like to know if there's a way (in Blitz) to do this.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#5]
it would have helped if you posted in the correct blitz forum (max, plus or 3d)
last i heard gif is still under a patent, iir blits 3d can only open gifs via the movie commands and a 3rd party lib may not exsist for you type of blitz.

a bit of rooting around google on gif file formats can atleast get you started on a gif loader should you have to start one yourself from scratch

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#6]
BlitzMax, via third party modules, can create animated gifs.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#7]
Blitz3d and Blitzplus can save gifs via the Freeimage dll. There's two to choose from, the more recent modular one, or Snarty's lib as used by big10p.