My friend can't get out of Safe Mode

Community Forums/General Help/My friend can't get out of Safe Mode

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#1]
Okay, so this friend of mine, in Honduras, has recently developed a major boot problem with her XP machine.

At the Windows boot, she gets the following error message (translated from Spanish):

There has been a problem while the initiation of the computer. If you know what the problem is and the solution of it, click on proper choice.

She then has the option to start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Internet, and Start Windows Normally. Every time she tries the "Start Windows Normally" option, however, she gets returned to the same error screen. She's been using Safe Mode - the only thing that boots - for about a week now.

We've tried rebooting from the command prompt, we've tried the Windows Boot Menu from F8, and we've even tried using System Restore. Nothing's worked.

Any suggestions?

markcw(Posted 2009) [#2]
Sounds like a virus. Reinstall Windows.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#3]
Not an option, I'm afraid. This computer came with Windows, not a CD.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#4]
Then he should have burned recovery discs or keep his recovery partition intact. That's the way to restore windows nowadays anyway.

Since the PC is likely to have a sticker with the license on it can't you use your own Windows XP cd? Or get it somewhere else?

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#5]
Let me clarify something about my friend: SHE is in Honduras. I am in Massachusetts.

Does anyone have any suggestions on anti-viral software? Spybot S & D, maybe? Anything free, even if it's "hackish."

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#6]

This computer came with Windows, not a CD.

In that case, is there another (Probably hidden) partition on the hard drive that contains Windows (And usually, a boat load of useless apps) that can be used to reset the machine?

This is generally done by firing up a pre-installed 'setup' application, which is accessible at the same time as when you can access the BIOS menu.

Dabz

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#7]
This is generally done by firing up a pre-installed 'setup' application, which is accessible at the same time as when you can access the BIOS menu.

...By hammering the F8 key when windows is about to start up, the extended options should have a windows recovery option if it was a pre-installed OEM with recovery partition.

Hotcakes(Posted 2009) [#8]
If it's booting up into safe mode then the thing is probably salvagable. Assuming Safe Mode with Networking gives internet access it shouldn't be hard to track down the problem. Of course, your friend needs to be computer savvy or know someone who is, which I'm guessing is a problem here :)

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#9]
Sounds to me like it is blue screening at boot up.

But she has the option to immediately reboot rather than show the blue screen.

Turn that option off so she can see which stop error she is getting. That option is in the advanced portion of the system icon in Control panel.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#10]
That error message is very general so it could be anything. Maybe some hardware failed or a virus borked some critical software.

Edit: Did you get the boot menu screen up? Every bios uses a different F# key many use F8 some F2, etc. Usually it says somewhere for a half second what key you have to press.

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot. If all else fails she could install a Linux. :D

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#11]
Of course, your friend needs to be computer savvy or know someone who is, which I'm guessing is a problem here :)

Ouch. O.o

Thanks Dabz, I'll look into that.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#12]
If you call your computer's manufacturer they can supply you with installation disks.

Hotcakes(Posted 2009) [#13]
If they're anything like HP they'll charge like $40 for them or something.

Ouch. O.o

Oh shush it, you obviously don't have access to her computer to diagnose it yourself. :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#14]
Try these (pref in order):

-Look at the logs in safe mode for any errors / clues. (type compmgmt.msc from 'dos' & goto event viewer)

(failing that)
-Remove any recently added software (auto loading services in particular)

(failing that)
-Remove any hardware and drivers that may have recently been added or recently updated.

(failing that)
-From device manager in compmgmt/system disable peripheral hardwares like network cards, sound etc until you find a culprit. (some common sense can speed this up!)

(failing that)
-Disable all non-windows services in computer management (type compmgmt.msc from 'dos' & go services) and add them back in until you find the offender. (again some common sense can speed this up!)

When you find out what is causing it from the above, remove everything associated with it (eg. if it is a network card prob remove hw/driver/updates/shovelware) & try re-installing it.