.m4p file conversion

Community Forums/General Help/.m4p file conversion

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#1]
Does anyone know of a good way to convert Apple's .m4p format to something usable to windows, like mp3? I don't have Itunes and don't have the internet power to download 84 Mb of Apple crap, but I would like to listen to the music I purchased. Also, I would rather not pay for my music AGAIN, so free solutions are a necessity.

Tried Goldwave and Switch already. Cannot burn to CD either.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated... I'm extremely frustrated right now.

Thanks,

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
How did you get DRM'd AAC files without iTunes ?

I've only started buying AAC from iTunes since they all went DRM free.
I'm sure winamp plays DRM-free AAC. I know the BASS lib does :-)

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#3]
I got them from Itunes store from another computer, then, when I got my laptop, transferred the files here.

EDIT: Oh, and another odd thing. I transferred these files to my Ipod using Real Player, and they won't even play on Ipod. The rest of the .mp3's do. And, when I try to play the files in Real Player, it crashes.

BigH(Posted 2009) [#4]
Hi there.
Don't know whether this will work but it's free and a usefrul player anyway - seems to play most things.

http://www.videolan.org/

ubergeek(Posted 2009) [#5]
Check out MediaCoder; it might do what you want.

SebHoll(Posted 2009) [#6]
Super is supposed to be the be-all-and-end-all of media encoders. Interface is a bit clunky, but converts from just about anything to anything.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#7]
I looked at some of the links, and none of them seem to handle .m4p. I'm home for the weekend, where I have faster internet, and it turns iTunes from a 5 hour download to a 4 minute one.

Today is a sad day, and I don't believe it's right what apple is doing. But that's just a whole new can of worms I don't wish to open.

At least now I can do the burn to CD trick to get them to .mp3, then quickly uninstall iTunes.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#8]
Oh well :-)

iTunes works fine for me.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#9]
So I'm going to have to go on a little rant here...

I downloaded iTunes 2 minutes ago and already I feel like my head is going to explode from sheer frustration.

First, I wasn't aware that iTunes automatically imports every sound it finds on your computer into your library. It took all the sound files from my "games" folder (in My Documents) and put it in the library. This is just wonderful, because now I have about 80 unknown album icons that consist of 3 second sound effects.

So I think, ok, but at least I can listen to the music I bought. Lets have a play: nope, not happening. "You need a password to play this music". Irritating yes, but a problem that can be easily overcome. So I go and enter my password and I'm on my way to listening to my music. Nope. "You need to get a new updated Apple account." Wonderful, seeing as I will NEVER buy music on iTunes again, rendering this completely unnecessary. Lets do it anyway... "Error: The request could not be completed, try again later".

So here I am, with iTunes, still not being able to play my music.

I think I'm just going to go buy the CD's.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#10]
First, I wasn't aware that iTunes automatically imports every sound it finds on your computer into your library

It doesn't. It usually asks something like "Would you like me to add all music to your library?". When you say yes, then it does ;-)

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#11]
It asked me to do that for the music in my My Music folder. I said yes.

These files are not in my My Music folder.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#12]
I guess I can't be too mad at Apple. I support protecting artists (especially ones that aren't signed by massive record labels) and they should be fairly paid for their work (cue nawi).

I could be mad at the people that download hundreds and hundreds of gigs of music that they can never really listen too. Anymore, people collect music like stamps... just something to have, or to put on in the background of their lives. So they download hundreds of songs, listen to them once, then throw them on the iPod so when they shuffle it may come up again.

Then again, who's responsible from this cultural shift? The advent of the iPod as a means to have large amounts of music at any time may be responsible...

-sigh- Its a vicious cycle...

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#13]
i only ever 'bought' one song from itunes and that was free, although i used it to access the remix.nin podcasts
cue new pc with a fresh itunes install with same details and the drm of the free dl says no
yet the 15 or so songs that came 'free' with my latest "feel like getting a music mag just for the cd", will rip in the future as long as we have optical drives that can read em

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#14]
try this: http://media-convert.com/ it's free and it works pretty well!