Read Incomming Mail With PHP

Community Forums/General Help/Read Incomming Mail With PHP

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#1]
Can you add :80 on the end of and Email to read it with PHP.
Is there any other way to do it?
Im trying to make a Wii Message system that gives RSS Updates, and other content to your Wii.
(A Game Maybe)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
Can you add :80 on the end of and Email to read it with PHP

No.

IF your internet provider happens to run a webmail interface on the same server as their mailserver you could conceivably use it to read your email through a webbrowser, but that is by no means a given.
the :80 just tells a webbrowser to use the default port 80 HTTP port, whether anything happens at all and whether or not PHP is involved is completetly irrelevant at that point.

No idea what you're actually asking here.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#3]
I want a way for people to send mzil to a PHP script. So if they did blah@... would it open blah.com's homepage PHP script?
Is there a way to do somthing like this?
I just need an email receiver or ANY way to get the mail with a CGI script on a server.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
So if they did blah@... would it open blah.com's homepage PHP script?

No, not even CLOSE

Sending email uses the SMTP protocol, which is completely different from HTTP (PHP by itself does absolutely nothing, but it's typically used as an extension language that can be accessed over HTTP.

These are completely different animals, and you can't simply redirect email to a PHP script.
In order to 'send email' through PHP, you would need to create a PHP submission form on a webserver somewhere that can take input and has the know-how to email it to the intended recipient, and then have your program submit the message to the script using a HTTP form POST.

There are a few articles in the code archives showing sample code on how to do an HTTP POST that may help you on your way -- you'd still need to write the appropriate PHP code first, though.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1932
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2395
(I think there may be a few others, too)

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#5]
OK, Thanks