What browser doesn't suck?

Community Forums/General Help/What browser doesn't suck?

GfK(Posted 2009) [#1]
I just can't find a browser I can put up with any more. Here are my findings so far.

OPERA 9.64
Pros; Fast, speed dial, smooth scrolling, quick to load. Nice to use.
Cons; A lot of websites don't like it.

FIREFOX 3.5.2
Pros; Most sites work on it. Lots of plugins.
Cons; Its crap unless you install a mountain of addons, slow to start up and feels slow in general use, no "busy" pointer while its waiting for server response.

IE8
No.

How do Safari and Chrome (or anything else) compare to the above? I'm back on Firefox for the moment but I utterly hate it and want to stab it in the face. If it had a face, which it doesn't.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
I use Firefox on Windows and Linux and Safari on Mac.

The only addon I've added on to Firefox is that bug thing - for web development. Otherwise I don't bother with them.

Browsers just do a job for me - that of browsing the selection of sites that I visit.
I've no issues with the browsers I use. They just work (for me).

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#3]
FireFox does have smooth scrolling too. and a Speed-dial-ish addon too.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#4]
FireFox does have smooth scrolling too.
It does, but it looks awful compared to how Opera does it.
and a Speed-dial-ish addon too.
Yeah, I tried that. It made the navigation bar disappear completely. It didn't feel very safe to use after that.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#5]
Maybe a different speed dial addon?
PS -I use the smooth scrolling addon, not the built in one.

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#6]
I really like Chrome, but I only use it occasionally for the same "some sites don't like it" reason as Opera (which I also like).
I use Firefox mainly for the AdBlock Plus plugin which is a Godsend. There's nothing else really compelling about Firefox for me, but for now it's got my business.

When I used Opera, I found it best to add to the toolbar an "Open In Firefox" and or "Open In IE" button on the toolbar (from HERE for example) for the sites that had issues. Given that you like Opera for everything else, that's probably your best solution.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
Given that you like Opera for everything else, that's probably your best solution.
That's pretty much what I've done - back on Opera for now and will hop over to Internet Exploder or Direfox (I meant to spell it like that) only if I need to.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
I use Chrome and AvantBrowser. chrome is a tad to minimalistic in some areas to my liking, but its main benefit is that each tab runs in its own process, so if one blows up it doesn't take your other open sites with it.

AvantBrowser uses the IE rendering engine, so no compatibility issues there, but has an infinitely better GUI than the native IE one.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#9]
OPERA 9.64
Pros; Fast, speed dial, smooth scrolling, quick to load. Nice to use.
Cons; A lot of websites don't like it.

I have a lot less problems since I started using the newer version. You might want to upgrade from 9.64

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#10]
if one blows up it wont take your other sites with it

Untrue. I was writing a JavaScript and it froze the whole browser.
It did the same in IE 6/8 (didn't test 7)
But in FireFox it worked.

I wrote another one more recently. I made it in FF, worked fine.
On a computer w/o FF (Should be a crime (should't go giving them ideas though)), I opened it in IE and it froze the whole OS, and I had to push the power button to restart.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#11]
You might want to upgrade from 9.64
Eh? It says there are no updates?

[edit] Are you talking about Opera 10 RC?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#12]
Eh? It says there are no updates?

AFAIK, there are no updates for 9.64, you need to upgrade.

I have been using the 10 alphas/betas for months and it is a lot more compatible with sites (not to mention much, much faster). Sites that used to crash Opera 9.x now work fine for me.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#13]
Hm, I'll give that a go. Thanks.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#14]
Of course you may have different results ;)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#15]
Nope, just installed. All seems pretty good so far.

Tell you what - you don't realise just how bad Firefox stinks until you use something better for a while, then go back to it.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#16]
Did you notice a speed boost over 9.64?

Other than Opera, the only other browser I would consider is Lunascape. It has a lot of potential, IMHO.

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#17]
Dammit - you've talked me back in to trying Opera again. Now I've gotta set up my stuff again... rassum frassum. DAMN YOU SUPERIOR BROWSERS!

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#18]
I use Chrome exclusively now. Took a little getting used to it, but I like it.

Zethrax(Posted 2009) [#19]
Another vote for Opera here. If a site doesn't work with it, I just fire up Chrome (or whatever browser does work for that site).

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#20]
I just use IE8 it's free and less fuss!

or is it a sign of my progressing years, darn it what is the trendiest most hip and cool browser out there man I want in? ;o)

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#21]
I recently switched to Opera and really like the browsing.

However, web apps tend to not work well on it. An example is Godaddy's domain manager.

I use Opera until something doesn't work, then Firefox. I switch often.

Stick with Opera.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#22]
I use Firefox. At some point I started trying out Opera and liked it... until it started annoying me. I think one thing that annoyed me was, instead of Opera opening a new tab on some links, it opened up a whole new window which defeats the purpose of tabs. There were other things that annoyed me too but I switched back to FireFox. One thing I've noticed that I never noticed before (it might just be a bug) is when I go to scroll down using the arrow keys instead of the mouse wheel, it moves me to the bottom of the page, with the | cursor blinking.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#23]
chrome is definitely my favorite. firefox is second, opera 3rd, and ie never! :)
but you should absolutely try chrome. it's fast, reliable, and very user friendly.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#24]
I'm a chromer.. its sleek and FAST... for sites that don't like it (which is a web designer issue) I cringe and bring up IE or Firefox... but I have all of them to see which I gravitated to more... Its definitely chrome

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#25]
Im happy with FF to be honest. I tried opera and agreed the speed dial thing is good, but i still prefer FF because opera doesn't seem to render poroperly annoyingly often.

As for addons I dont seem to have that many addons :/ What addons are you refering to? I just have;
dev-plugin, moonlight and ubuntu mod (on linux anyway) strangely flash works fine but there is no plugin for it :/

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#26]
I use Flock.

Cheers
Charlie

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#27]
I don't like Chrome, it's way too... I don't know... cramped. By cramped, I'm talking about the tabs, they're just shoved right at the top. It's too minimal. Sure it gives you more space to look at the websites but I still don't like it.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#28]
I dont think there's such a thing as a browser that's perfect for everyone. I use FF at home but am forced to use IE at work. No major complaints on either score here, TBH.

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#29]
I use Iron which is pretty much chrome, sometimes the web engine is updated faster though. And it doesn't have the Google call home stuff chrome does.

EOF(Posted 2009) [#30]
Using Opera 10 here now. I can't really tell if it's faster than before but it does have a low bandwidth mode under the Mail options as well as the turbo mode for slow connection speeds