Pong Copyright

Community Forums/General Help/Pong Copyright

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#1]
Is pong copyrighted because I just made my own and want to put it on my website (for free)

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#2]
Yes, lots of people have been slammed for making games with the word pong in the title. As long as you don't put pong in the title, you should be ok.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#3]
I agree, trademark seems to have been the trigger for the legal problems with a lot of pong clones. Keep the name different and I doubt it should be a problem.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#4]
OK, thanks

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#5]
How about Ping lol

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#6]
Pawng
Ping Pawng
Peeng Pawng

Sounds good to me.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#7]
seeing as everyone has cut their coding teeth on either pong tetris or breakout and released it for free (who would pay anyway) all the rights owners kinda let 99% of em slide by unhindered
and if in the future they did want to take people to court over it theve left it too late as any defence lawyer could just show about a gigs worth of exe's and tapes from the 8bit days

the name as stated would probably have been the stumbling block of the 1% (ok im making the numbers up here)

you dont need to refer to it as pawng or any other sound alike, nor do you need something like "retro 70's video ping pong game"
if people click retro game 5 from your website most gamers no matter how old will go "oh look its pong"

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
Sucks if you happen to be among that 1%, though...

if people click retro game 5 from your website most gamers no matter how old will go "oh look its pong"

Just because people will think that, doesn't mean that you are permitted to advertise it as such. Companies like Nintendo paid good money to license the 'Tetris' name for their game....

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#9]
Just call it Reeks, and be done with.

Then, long into the future, most gamers no matter how old will go "oh look, that reeks"

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#10]
Im thinking about puting in with some other classic games and you click a thumbnail image from thw game to enter it. Then it has no name.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#11]
Title:
Ball Bounce: The Two Paddles

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#12]
Just because people will think that, doesn't mean that you are permitted to advertise it as such.

sorry didnt know nintendo released a game called "retro game 5" ;)
thats its hypothetical name, i wouldnt call it pong cos it isnt yet it is. ive called it "retro game 5", it just happens to look and play like pong.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#13]
What if you want to write a game about a bouncy smell that make a high pitch noise when it bounces! ;o)

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2009) [#14]
It would be a good story line...

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#15]
How About Bing Pong

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#16]
this is also interesting... plasma pong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nkimWTdCqY

and definitely not even in the same ball park as any other pong I have seen.

And I wouldnt worry about it, if you get a million downloads, I would worry but as long as you dont get famous over a game called pong, they shouldnt bother you.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2009) [#17]
I really wouldn't use the word Pong in the title!

Darkheart

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#18]
Well, I guess that answers that question!

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#19]
thing is pong is the video game name of pingpong aka table tennis and both names are donkies years old
but in regards to video games pong is pong and either part of midway or infrogrames domain
call it ping pong and atari/whomever can do you
call it table tennis and rockstar will send round some 3rd rate voice actors to beat you to a pulp with resident evil scripts (wrapped tight with nails in them)

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#20]
"Pawng" - haha that one made me laugh.