New motherboard problems

Community Forums/General Help/New motherboard problems

Torrente(Posted 2009) [#1]
Recently I bout a P5Q Pro Turbo, along with a quad core intel cpu and 4 gigs of Corsair memory. I installed everything, booted into my previous installation of linux, and everything worked fine.

I next tried to boot into windows, which was unsuccessful. Following advice found online, I attempted a restall from my computer's recovery partition. It informed me that the recovery was successful; however, upon booting into windows, my monitor would show a gray screen with a mouse for a few seconds before restarting itself.

I then attempted to reinstall via an old XP reinstallation disc. After this attempt and a bit of messing with the BIOS, I am left clueless. I can no longer boot into linux, and windows certainly doesn't work. A Ubuntu live cd session does not even recognize my hard drive. Even more frustrating is that I can only boot into a cd -- when I set my SATA drive to the first item in the boot priority, the computer merely tells me to insert a proper, bootable drive and press a key. However, my BIOS definitely recognizes that a drive is connected to the SATA1 connector.

Any ideas? Unfortunately I start school tomorrow, and am in somewhat of a rush. Any help will be appreciated.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#2]
When installing XP, your SATA drive isn't recognized until you install the drivers for it. Check the discs that came bundled with the mobo. They may even be on a floppy!

Can't remember precisely but a some point near the start of installing XP, you're asked if you want to install any other devices. Choose yes and install the SATA drivers.

[edit] Actually, I think you have to press F6 at a point during installation of XP to install the drivers.

Torrente(Posted 2009) [#3]
I got to that point, but it only accepts floppy discs and I don't even have a floppy drive...

At this point, I honestly don't even care if I have to reformat the entire drive and install a fresh copy of XP on it -- would this work? The drive used to work perfectly with XP + Ubuntu.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#4]
Installing a new motherboard and expecting a previous OS install to work correctly is always a bit optimistic.

I'd reinstall the lot if you're having problems.

big10p(Posted 2009) [#5]
Reformatting the drive won't buy you anything, although you should do that anyway; as Gfk said, the old XP is unlikely to work with your new hardware. The XP installer doesn't recognize SATA drives without the drivers installed - that's the problem.

If you can't get your hands on a floppy drive, try googling 'install xp sata driver no floppy'.

Torrente(Posted 2009) [#6]
Hmm, I'll give that a try, thanks Gfk and big10p! No doubt I'll be back in a few days with more questions.

Unfortunately I have to wait a day or two until I can get a new copy of XP.

Torrente(Posted 2009) [#7]
Actually, no I'm not done asking questions.

The problem can't just be with XP, if an Ubuntu LiveCD partitioner doesn't even see the drive? Is this correct?

All of the new hardware appears to be working and is shown correctly in the BIOS, so I really am clueless.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#8]
Sounds like when you reinstalled XP it wiped out your grub setup. This means that now you have a broken XP and a working but unavailable ubunu. This is fixable by re-installing grub, but i have never attempted it so cant help there.

As for the live CD not seeing the HDD, are you sure it does not exist or that it is just not mounting?

If the DISK indeed does not -exist- in gparted or fdisk then check your connections, if fine then i am afraid it is new HDD time.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#9]
there is a way to get xp to pickup your sata drive. but you need to use a working pc. first you download klite its free. download the drivers for motherboards sata. then install klite.

follow the on screen instuctions. the idea is it makes a copy of your xp cd and then adds the sata drivers, then you burn a new xp cd with the drivers included. this will then install and pickup your sata drive from the xp install.

Pete

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#10]
Does gparted find the drive or get stuck searching.
I had this problem Installing Ubuntu because of a broken hard drive, so I swaped it out and it worked fine.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#11]
What version of Ubuntu is on the CD that you are you trying to boot from? Is it the latest one, or an older release?

As you found out the hard way, never try to (re)install Windows on a drive that already has Linux, because it will waltz all over the Linux bootloader.
For future reference: In general the best approach for a motherboard/CPU upgrade is to start with a fresh windows install. Especially when moving architectures, it's pretty much guaranteed that windows will blow up on you. (e.g. Intel <-> AMD, or single core <-> multicore)
You can somtimes mitigate the chance for problems by attempting to load the drivers for your new components before physically installing them so at least windows knows how to handle them, but not all drivers will want to install without the component present.
You can also increase the odds of your old Windows install working by running sysprep (download from MS website) before changing the hardware -- sysprep will put windows in a somewhat neutral state, where it will look for an install new hardware components upon the next bootup, instead of making a bunch of assumptions about your system like it normally does.

XP's lack of SATA drivers really can be a headache though, especially combined with its insistance to load them from a floppy or slipstreamed into the actual XP install disc. Luckily they fixed that in Vista/Windows7 by allowing alternate sources for drivers.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#12]
XPs lack of drivers in general is a headache.