Decent KVM switch?

Community Forums/General Help/Decent KVM switch?

marksibly(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a decent KVM (keyboard/video/mouse) switch for sharing keyboard/mouse amongst 3 machines (I don't use the vid bit)?

The one I've got is OK, except the keyboard handling doesn't quite work - multiple keys held down at once generally results in some kind of 'release all keys' glitch.

It's OK for typing, but sucks for gaming!

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#2]
Are you using one that is autoswitching? I have an older one with manual switching and a mechanical switch, it kludges the video (too noisy), but it works great for the keyboard and mouse:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=184

FlameDuck(Posted 2009) [#3]
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=404605

It's a bit pricey, and it only works with DVI and USB, so might be useless for older computers, but I really like it.

Cartman(Posted 2009) [#4]
I hope the Belkins are better than they used to be. I had one at work and one at home that always flaked out on me.

The one I currently use is pretty good and small. I'll try to look for the model on it. It uses ScrLk + ScrLk + Enter to change inputs. And it allows you to play audio from one machine while being on another.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#5]
Aten do a good range of switches but not cheep!

Or you could virtualize the computers over a LAN, loggin into them remotely with the right software?

GfK(Posted 2009) [#6]
It might not be quite what you're after, or even an option you've considered. I asked the same question a year or so ago and somebody suggested Input Director, which I've been using ever since.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#7]
avocent work great. I've never had any issues with them at work nor at home over the last 5-6 years.

Cartman(Posted 2009) [#8]
Mine is the IOGEAR 4-Port USB KVM. Model number is GCS634U. I love mine.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#9]
Who was the moderator brave enough to move Mark's post to this forum? :D

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#10]
a moderator worth keeping