What would stop vista burning cds?

Community Forums/General Help/What would stop vista burning cds?

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#1]
Actually make that DVDRs

My mum bought a new PC recently with Vista.H.Prem on it. It says "application not found" when she clicks on a blank disk. When she does it through the burning software it says "dvd burner not found".

Have talked her through the usual stuff and remove the hw and force p&p etc and all results -sound- fine. It is using the manufacturer's image and is a Toshiba something-or-other "good deal" from morrisons.

No joy still same problem.

Problem for me, im in sweden, she is in UK. She is a total noobtard who cannot do anything without stressing max.

WTF cant vista burn DVDs or something? Last time i checked it could. She -was- on Ubuntu with her old PC that i installed last time i was in UK and have had almost 2 years of peace and quiet. Now my phone is ringing off the damn hook.

Anyone know of any wierd known issues or anything i have not thought of?

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
That sounds familiar. Is she trying to make a set of recovery CDs? Because my Compaq laptop did precisely the same thing - denied all knowledge of a CD/DVD burner being connected, even though it was.

Compaq's best solution was to flog me a set of CDs for another £15. WTF?

I reinstalled from my Vista DVD and used the licence key that came with the computer. Everything worked great after that.

Companies should be banned from selling computers that don't have a genuine OS CD included.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#3]
no just trying to burn some photos.... faaazands of em.

Companies should be banned from selling computers that don't have a genuine OS CD included.
110% agree "mal" shovelware is the devil.

I think ts is prolly the case but i think she needs to buy a ram stick or two instead.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#4]
I had these problems too so i used a free dvd burner from downloads.com and it worked even though built-ins would not... go figure

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#5]
Anyone got the name of a reliable shovel-free burning suite for windows (It has to be nice and easy for her to use with me on the phone)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#6]
Anyone got the name of a reliable shovel-free burning suite for windows (It has to be nice and easy for her to use with me on the phone)

This one is probably the nicest one you'll find:
http://cdburnerxp.se/help/

Supposedly it's compatible with Vista as well.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#7]
Here`s a good list of the best freeware tools available,

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-cd-dvd-burning-software.htm

They are all pretty decent alternatives.

Jason.

Destroyer(Posted 2009) [#8]
@ D4NM4N

You don't have somit like DAEMON Tools running with emulation / any other sort of virtual CD/DVD drive software???

I had the same probs running DAEMON Tools, Vista would not detect my DVD drive, until i turned the emulation off in DAEMON Tools.

Destroyer :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#9]
Its not my PC, its in england, i am in sweden.

Problem: Anything i do has to be by phone with the nboobiest of noobs at the helm. For some reason Home premium does not seem to have remote desktop of any sort. :O

GfK(Posted 2009) [#10]
Tried RealVNC?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#11]
Tried RealVNC?

Over the internet? Yuck..

Better with Hamachi and Remote Desktop.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#12]
i might try installing logmein or something.

Digital Anime(Posted 2009) [#13]
Teamviewer is a very good remote system without any troubles to start.

CDBurnerXP is indeed a good free option as well, as I'm using it to burn iso's under Vista sometimes.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#14]
Better with Hamachi and Remote Desktop.
Remote Desktop is all well and good but I don't see how a Japanese virtual pet is going to help him.

*runs away*

Digital Anime(Posted 2009) [#15]
@GFK

Hamachi is a tool to create a local network over internet, free for private use. You are reffering to Tamagotchi i bet.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#16]
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&rls=en&hs=UMv&q=vista+dvd+burner+not+found&revid=1498330127&ei=hYCGSoqxO4aPtgeqmNjnDA&sa=X&oi=revisions_inline&resnum=0&ct=broad-revision&cd=3

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility