in game votekicking

Community Forums/General Help/in game votekicking

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have added votekicking to my projects, so that players can manage troublemakers on their own.

my question is, what do you think a reasonable timeframe is for the kick? I have been considering anywhere from five minutes to a few hours,

The player can always hop on another server, but if over half the players voted to boot this person, shouldnt they stay out for a few minutes at the very least ?

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
I would say 30 minutes but it all depends... 5 minutes is too short. a few hours is too long so that should be a nice in between value

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#3]
Suggest storing the players ban's as a list... then while those players are playing that player cannot rejoin that game at all until the number of original banning players drops below the threshold or un-ban them.

You could then add a level of severity for consistently banned players.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#4]
_skully, I was considering that. Right now its a 30 min one time ban each time. But I like the idea of perma banning repeat offenders. I just have to come up with a system that wont allow a group of "friends" to ban ppl just because they feel like it.

right now, if there are three ppl on, a two count vote can win. I think thats ok for small banishments, but I would need a better system for perma banning.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#5]
[offtopic]

This is a very dangerous ground. I can't tell you how many times I've been playing a 5v5 Dota on Battle.NET and when we are winning, the host team (the team where the host player plays in) are all friends (and we of course are the opposite team). He simply ends the game just because they were losing.

My guess is they keep doing that until they find noob players enough to lose for them, so they play until the end. It's very frustrating because there isn't much you can do about it.

[/offtopic]

Matty(Posted 2009) [#6]
I don't play many online games but wouldn't a password system where only those who've been invited to play can play against you be less open to abuse?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#7]
but wouldn't a password system where only those who've been invited to play can play against you be less open to abuse?

servers can already be password protected

He simply ends the game just because they were losing.

Yeah, that sucks. The players in my game arent the hosts.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#8]
If BF1942 if 1 minute. I would do it for 20 minutes personally.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#9]
I played a gamw where chat spammin baned you from chatding for 5mins.
So mosly all you would need to do was ban them from chating for a while. Maybe:
First time: "You've been baned for 1 minute"
2nd: 10 (or more)
3ed: 30min
4th 1hr

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#10]
i have votekicking in place, its a 30 minute ip ban.